Author Topic: Component ID steering questions  (Read 1742 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Component ID steering questions
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
I posted in another section about checking steering components so I decided to look through the component ID section and sure enough, some details are listed there.   This posed another question.
Z28's with and without power steering are listed but only the power steering examples list the part numbers for the shorter steering arms. 3954875 and 76 for LH and RH respectively.
  Non power steering Z's are shown as using the shorter steering arms as well but no part numbers shown.  Are they the same between power and non power?? 

Another question.  Both power and non power are shown to use the same 5.8" pitman arm 3953227 but then it goes on to say that power steering and non power steering  pitman arm splined holes for the attachment to the steering box were different sizes.
They have the same part number??

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Component ID steering questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
The shorter fast-ratio steering arms are the same for manual and power steering.

Fast-ratio pitman arms as noted do not interchange as the splined hole is different for manual and power steering. However they may have the same forging number, seen on the part. Part numbers often change as engineering revisions are made or sourcing changes. The part number listed for '69 power pitman arm was at one time #3989445. I would verify that the c-c dimension is 5.75" prior to purchase.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Component ID steering questions
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
Thanks William

anything