Author Topic: De-rusting my drive shaft... What to preserve it with??  (Read 19305 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: De-rusting my drive shaft... What to preserve it with??
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Gary,

I've been using RPM (Rust Preventive Magic) from ECS on parts I leave natural such as steering linkage, coil springs and manual steering box
and will use it on the drive shaft too.

Hello Mike,

I've never used/heard of this product, but googling finds me this..  Is this the exact product you purchased?  Is it available in other quantities that you would recommend instead of the 8 oz size?   From the description, it sounds perfect, but I'm skeptical usually of marketing claims.. :)
http://www.amazon.com/RPM-Rust-Prevention-Magic-oz/dp/B00ITVG8IK/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1449338167&sr=8-1&keywords=rust+prevention+magic

PS.  Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.  I have some Boeshield but haven't used it enough to be a proponent as yet.
Hi Gary,
  Yes, that is it. I don't know if it comes larger but the size shown will cover probably a few cars worth of raw metal. I use a small painters brush to apply it. My resto too is mid-stream so I'll see how the RPM holds up to the steering box heat exposure. The linkage and springs were done 2 years ago and stored in an unheated basement and no rust developed. I applied it after glass beading the parts so the pours were freshly filled by that product. My thinking is that for parts that do get hot enough to have the protectant lose its efficiency, then they probably will have to get touched up.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
OK..  I left my driveshaft in the 'derusting chamber'.. :) .  for a couple hours more than a day.   Since the temp has been around 60 daytime and 35-45 at night, I thought a bit longer would be OK.   What I found when I removed the driveshaft from the tube was a totally cleaned, almost 'blackened' driveshaft with paint stripes showing; orange and white adjacent and then a bit apart was a yellow splash.   I should have photographed it before running water over it..  as when I did (even without any force) the orange/white paint began to run .. so I stopped with the 'washing' and took the first photo.

I stopped washing down and resorting to 'wiping only the unpainted areas with a wet cloth'.. then dried using an old hair dryer  I then applied a lite coating of 'Metal Rescue -Stop Rust' over the painted areas.  last photo.  I don't plan to repaint the stripes; I'm thinking enough of the original strips will be visible to show originality on my unrestored car.  I will apply Boeshield (when I find my supply).. :)  to preserve it as much as possible.

I measured from center to center of the driveshaft mounting rings and got 49-5/8" as closely as I could read it.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:59:08 PM »
Nicely done!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
thanks Daryl,

I was a little surprised (and disappointed) that the Evaporust was dissolving the paint.. I've left other partially painted items in Evaporust and Metal Rescue for much longer periods without affecting the paint.  I can only conclude that the 'paint globs on driveshafts' were not done with a high quality paint.. and were probably applied to a greasy driveshaft (new metal).. with no intentions of the paint lasting for 46 years.  As I said, I left the driveshaft in the solution in approx. 60 F temps for maybe 26-27 hrs, so anyone doing this in the future, might try shorter periods (maybe 12 hrs?) in hope to better preserve the paint strips.  Too bad they don't make 'clear' PVC tubes in 4" ID..  :)

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »
Yep, good work Gary! I look forward to doing mine in the future. I will follow your advise on soak time.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 02:25:24 AM »
What's the distance of the stripes to a u-joint and which one?
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 03:47:06 AM »

The orange stripe was approx. 12 inches from the Yoke joint.
The white stripe was approx. 3/4" farther away from the yoke joint.

The yellow splash of paint was approx. 21-22 inches from the yoke joint.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
Gary,

I've been using RPM (Rust Preventive Magic) from ECS on parts I leave natural such as steering linkage, coil springs and manual steering box
and will use it on the drive shaft too.

Hello Mike,

I've never used/heard of this product, but googling finds me this..  Is this the exact product you purchased?  Is it available in other quantities that you would recommend instead of the 8 oz size?   From the description, it sounds perfect, but I'm skeptical usually of marketing claims.. :)
http://www.amazon.com/RPM-Rust-Prevention-Magic-oz/dp/B00ITVG8IK/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1449338167&sr=8-1&keywords=rust+prevention+magic

PS.  Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.  I have some Boeshield but haven't used it enough to be a proponent as yet.
Hi Gary,
  Yes, that is it. I don't know if it comes larger but the size shown will cover probably a few cars worth of raw metal. I use a small painters brush to apply it. My resto too is mid-stream so I'll see how the RPM holds up to the steering box heat exposure. The linkage and springs were done 2 years ago and stored in an unheated basement and no rust developed. I applied it after glass beading the parts so the pours were freshly filled by that product. My thinking is that for parts that do get hot enough to have the protectant lose its efficiency, then they probably will have to get touched up.

Mike

Mike, I would not use the RPM on anything that will or could be heated up substantially. I've been using on many parts for several years and found it does not work well on smooth parts and is best on castings and screw/bolt/nut parts. Mentioned this several times but a NCRS judge friend got me on Quanta gas tanks rust prevention dry. That stuff is just Great and easy to use.
Gary, your chamber looked exactly like what I did and posted a few years ago. It would be possibly beneficial to add your info to the drive-shaft thread with the dimensions for future reference and searches. It's fun is it not? :) For anyone doing it a 5' long piece of 4" tubing capped, install that drive-shaft and exactly 2 gallons of evapo-rust emerges the shaft. Had mine in for 24 hours and amazing what can be found. I've done three drive-shafts (68Z, 69 std v8 Camaro, and 67 corvette) and all three have had distinctive paint markings.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
Gary, your chamber looked exactly like what I did and posted a few years ago. It would be possibly beneficial to add your info to the drive-shaft thread with the dimensions for future reference and searches. It's fun is it not? :) For anyone doing it a 5' long piece of 4" tubing capped, install that drive-shaft and exactly 2 gallons of evapo-rust emerges the shaft. Had mine in for 24 hours and amazing what can be found. I've done three drive-shafts (68Z, 69 std v8 Camaro, and 67 corvette) and all three have had distinctive paint markings.

Chick,

I followed the directions I found from previous posts here in CRG to derust the driveshaft, but I can't tell you if it was your post or someone else... Maybe you were the first to do this?  (you should have patented it!) :)

Because it was cool the day I did it, I left mine in for about 26-27 hrs, yet with gently running water, the paint marks immediately began to run..  so I'm thinking that was too long a time.  Next time, I'll check after 12-15 hrs and see what I've got.  I'm not *restoring*, but just preserving, so I will not redo/add paint... so I was disappointed that most of the factory paint ran off with a light water bath...

I'll have to check out your suggestion for Quanta gas tanks rust prevention dry..  not familiar with it at present.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
I left mine in for about 26-27 hrs, yet with gently running water, the paint marks immediately began to run..  so I'm thinking that was too long a time.  Next time, I'll check after 12-15 hrs and see what I've got. 
The same thing happened with my brake hardware. All the nice legible markings washed away after I pulled it out of the solution.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »
That would indicate they are water-soluble paint. Not much you can do about that....
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 03:42:55 AM »

Chick,

I followed the directions I found from previous posts here in CRG to derust the driveshaft, but I can't tell you if it was your post or someone else... Maybe you were the first to do this?  (you should have patented it!) :)

Because it was cool the day I did it, I left mine in for about 26-27 hrs, yet with gently running water, the paint marks immediately began to run..  so I'm thinking that was too long a time.  Next time, I'll check after 12-15 hrs and see what I've got.  I'm not *restoring*, but just preserving, so I will not redo/add paint... so I was disappointed that most of the factory paint ran off with a light water bath...

I'll have to check out your suggestion for Quanta gas tanks rust prevention dry..  not familiar with it at present.

Here you go Gary and again this stuff is good!    http://www.gastanks.com/RestoGuard-Dry-All-Metal-Protector-Lubricant-12-oz-spray-can/productinfo/05-11/
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 03:46:34 AM »
I need to find it for sale somewhere...  12 oz spray can is $16.95.. and SHIPPING IS $16.31.. (I don't think so) *G*

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
Sorta sounds similar to Rust Veto.  I ordered a can of it to use but haven't used enough to be a spokesman for it..

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/rust-veto-a2-quick-dry-cosmoline/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAv5-zBRCAzfWGu-2jo70BEiQAj_F8oEg31aEP-HX--JfM_g542t67WxlF3G0CmB7SWSXXA0caAlw28P8HAQ

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

The orange stripe was approx. 12 inches from the Yoke joint.
The white stripe was approx. 3/4" farther away from the yoke joint.

The yellow splash of paint was approx. 21-22 inches from the yoke joint.

Not to change the course of the thread, but only to add to the striping color/location. I could clearly see the distinct lines on this D.S. out of a 69 P.G. 6 cyl. I carefully cleaned the area and what do you know?, it is orange & white, like Gary's. This D.S. along with my 2 big block 4spd and 1 turbo 350 and 307 appear the same in length, offset & yoke.

Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13