Author Topic: Heater box gaskets in kit  (Read 2850 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Heater box gaskets in kit
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »
Hello list,

I searched the archive but could not find an answer to if the original '67 heater box had a gasket between itself and the defroster input at the bottom and also the defroster output to the dash openings. I have these in the heater pad kit. I don't see any in the '67 04B LOS car.

Thank You,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Heater box gaskets in kit
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Hello list,

I searched the archive but could not find an answer to if the original '67 heater box had a gasket between itself and the defroster input at the bottom and also the defroster output to the dash openings. I have these in the heater pad kit. I don't see any in the '67 04B LOS car.

Thank You,
Mike

There was no gasket or seal between the defroster outlet on the top of the heater box and the inlet at the bottom of the Y-shaped defroster duct; Chevrolet design practice on all cars and trucks was to leave that gap open without a seal so the noise and vibration of the heater box didn't get transmitted through the duct to the upper dash panel, which would then amplify the noise.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Heater box gaskets in kit
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
  That's good news as I didn't put them on when I reinstalled the heater assembly and your reason makes sense. I didn't record any when I removed the box nor did the LOS assembly showed any signs of it. It's actually a close enough fit, yet have a gap, to not need any gaskets there.
Thank you, John.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything