Author Topic: Just noticed an auction for you original BB guys  (Read 7890 times)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just noticed an auction for you original BB guys
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
The previous Feature Car (the black 68) now has a 406 SBC with 572 hp at 5700. Eagle rods, high end ARP bolts. Will probably be shifted at 6200 for reliability - but it's been revved above 7000.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 04:58:19 AM »
Love these engine posts. Have to agree with everyone here! I have one BB on a stand, looks odd.  ??? Like Gary, into small blocks. (bigger cubed ones) Not counting the 302, and a 64 327 I just gotta keep for ever.

Preaching to the choir, but it all depends on the package, big or small. Which equates to HP being made, demands on the components. I see countless posts on other sites questioning cam choices with no thought into head flow ,compression, springs, etc...

3300# "real street" car dipping in the 12's, literally tons of good GM parts out there. Bolt it together with ARP's.

Now the Gasser weighs in at 2250# , certed 8.5, Callies/Oliver/JE rotating assembly. Car's the epitome of " overbuilt" (which I am a proponent of) considering the class I like to run it in.  Bringing it up on the primaries for launch and 6200 shift points pulls it there effortlessly. Beauty is maintenance pretty much consists of draining the water in winter and fluid changes. Far cry from the days of drag racing the Z with a manual trans. 7600 shift points. Apples and oranges, however talking purpose built vs. multi purpose.

Car did take a lot of abuse, more from my father. The Z really was a great "package" , but had it's weak areas.

Having walked all over this thread, I'll end it with a quote I read from an engine builder: " Easy and relatively cheap to get 500 HP out of a SBC...once!"

My first Chevy 302 came from a drag race '67 Z28 (ran by HOF drag racer Jack Cooley of Louisiana).  He left the line at 10,200 rpm, and shifted at 9300 on his way to 11.6 ets running stock class (at the national record) in 1970 time frame.  The engine was 'stock', although the crank and rods had been subjected to 'Hank the Crank' retouching, Forgetrue pistons 030 over but for dykes rings, lunati cam blueprinted to Z28 specs and rotated a couple of degrees, stock heads, intake, carb, headers and 7" slicks to be stock at that time.

The class rules changed in 1970-71, Jack sold the car complete to another HOF drag racer (Paul Vanderley) who was an engine builder and wanted to run his own engine, so I purchased the engine from Paul and installed into my '53 Henry J.. :)
- 42 Ford straight axle, split wishbones, quarter elliptic sprung '57 Chevy rear with long Ford split wishbones welded to the rear axle as well....  :)    old timey gasser...

To hear that engine rev would make adrenaline pump thru my body and my hair to stand on end.. :)

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
Whew, sounds like it was a handful to pilot.

Short wheel base car is quite a rush taking down the strip :) J's look longer alittle bit longer.  I think the Anglia's 89/90 (it was staggered for increased rollout)

Been a hectic 2 years. Haven't ran it in 2 summers, and the Z is sitting up on the lift. New promotion frees up all my weekends now, so we plan on getting back to it this year.  Cleaning the Z's front subframe/chassis tomorrow. Well, around decorating for Christmas >:(

See you have a 72 El Camino, explains why you had an interest in that 402 I have.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..