Author Topic: DZ cam pictures  (Read 5446 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
DZ cam pictures
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:47:03 AM »
I'm attempting to do pictures, not sure if this will work.

Anyone recognize where this may have been sold and/or the manufacture?
I tend to think it's an old Wolverine grind but can't remember.   I was thinking about using it in the build but without a cam card with specific valve events on this particular grind I can't degree it.  Makes me want to shelf it and buy another one.

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: DZ cam pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
I didn't stump you guys with this one did I?
I know it's an old repop but I figured you guys around this long enough may have seen these.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
Anyone recognize where this may have been sold and/or the manufacture?

Well you stumped me at least.  Not sure...

Any other markings on the box or a packing slip in the box?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:59:37 PM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
By the PN and specs, it's the famous '30-30' solid lifter cam...  With the 'bowtie perf parts' stamping on the side of the box you pictured, it lends a bit of credence that it might even be a chevy part, but almost all cam grinders have their own 'copy' of this cam....  probably millions of them used... :) .. at least many many thousands...   If it's an original chevy part, in the box, probably worth a bit more than the $100 or so that the aftermarket parts sell for..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
I would degree it in using Crane Cams specs and see how close it is...

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Does it have a GM part number stamped on the cam?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
Okay, you guys all have some interesting ideas.  Maybe this cam isn't aftermarket like I thought and that is what is throwing me off.

Miller, no other markings on the box and no paperwork inside.

Yes there are part numbers on the cam, I'll have to look closer, some are cast in, and some are stamped.  The stamped numbers on the rear journal are extremely faint and hard to read.  I seem to remember something was cast into the cam around the distributor gear.  I'll check that and report back.  I do remember a purple color paint dob around that same area.
   I did contact Crane because they used to own Wolverine, which is who I had thought this cam came from.  They weren't much help in identifying it other than suggesting I do exactly what you suggested Cook, and that is to degree it using their specs and see where it's at.   His only comment was that based off the intake and exhaust positions listed on the box that he thinks 2 degrees of advance are ground into this cam. 
   I'll try to take another picture of the cam itself and post back.  I'm new to the picture thing so bare with me.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
Here are 2 more pictures.  Numbers and letters I can see that are part of the casting around the fuel pump eccentric are CWC and RSCD 55   
Other than that, there is a faint stamp on the face of the rear journal, hard to see and picture wouldn't even pick it up.  900988 I believe.

This may or may not be much help.  Sorry for the delay, boy these pictures are a pain in the butt.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
A couple of pieces of info that I found for you...
"CWC formally Campbell Wyant and Cannon Foundry Co. in Muskegon, MI is the largest supplier of cast iron camshaft blanks in the world."

"CWC makes the raw castings for the various cam-core companies, such as Camshaft Machine Company, or Engine Power Components. The cam-core companies machine the bearings, drill and tap screw holes, etc, etc,etc.
Then they sell the cores to Comp Cams, Lunati, Isky, Crower, etc, etc, etc.
Cam names such as Melling or Wolverine Blue Racer were made by the cam-core companies, for sale to WDs, engine re-builders, etc, etc, etc.
That's why there are so many similar inexpensive cam grinds----They are all made by the same company for re-sell.

UDHarold "
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
Thanks Harold, speaking of cams, your name reminded me of Harold from Ultradyne, a camshaft genius who sadly passed away not long ago.  His work and research was passed on to a friend of mine at Koerner Racing.

I was only vaguely familiar with that chain of events you listed.  I've been told a lot of the Summit racing brand name camshafts are actually melling grinds from what I'm told.  Talking to a lot of the PS racers that need/use factory blueprint cams, most of them prefer the melling grind as the specs come in the closest when checking lobe lift etc...I recently tried a melling grind in a 454 I built earlier this summer.

Anyway before I babble too long, your info does shed some light, we now know what that CWC is for on the camshaft. 

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:30 PM »
You're welcome, but I'm Dave. Harold is the one quoted. No worries. Good luck with figuring it out.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

anything