Author Topic: Replace headlight washer nozzles  (Read 3151 times)

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
Replace headlight washer nozzles
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »
Need to replace my RS headlight washer nozzles and hoses. Respectively, they are clogged and cracked. It "looks" like the best way to get to the outer nozzles for replacement is to remove the grille. YES or NO? Doing so, I can get a wrench in there to remove the nozzles nut and washer.  In order to remove the grille it looks like I remove my Endura bumper to get to the 4 bolts holding the grille in place or what?
69 Z28 RS X33 50 A 713 Endura Console Rosewood

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Replace headlight washer nozzles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »
Well first let me ask does your pump even work? I say this because 99% of us with RS and headlight washers never use it because it make a mess all over the place. If your pump is working then maybe you want to remove them and service them,. Take a look in the AIM page 467.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:20:03 PM »
Leave the nozzles in place and use a torch tip cleaning file...

...or attach a long (long enough to do this procedure past the front or side of the car) hose to the back side of nozzle(s) 2  @ a time if desired, L & R, with hose supported in a vertical position, past the front or side of the car, and pour a solution of either, white vinegar or a product found at local H-ware stores called CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust) into the hose and let sit with hose supported. This may take days or hours of soaking depending what is blocking the nozzle.

link to the torch file: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=torch%20tip%20cleaning%20files
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »
First do this:

Well first let me ask does your pump even work? I say this because 99% of us with RS and headlight washers never use it because it make a mess all over the place. If your pump is working then maybe you want to remove them and service them,. Take a look in the AIM page 467.

Then do this:

Take compressed air and regulate the air down to around 10-20psi on your compressor and connect the air to the nozzle hoses to see if they are free and clear.  If not then,

Finally do this:

Leave the nozzles in place and use a torch tip cleaning file...

...or attach a long (long enough to do this procedure past the front or side of the car) hose to the back side of nozzle(s) 2  @ a time if desired, L & R, with hose supported in a vertical position, past the front or side of the car, and pour a solution of either, white vinegar or a product found at local H-ware stores called CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust) into the hose and let sit with hose supported. This may take days or hours of soaking depending what is blocking the nozzle.

link to the torch file: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=torch%20tip%20cleaning%20files

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
Thank you all for the comments & suggestions, sorry for the lateness on responding but I was in China for the last few weeks. Semaphores are faster than the Internet access in some remote portions of China like Guilin. Absolutely a beautiful place, Google it when you have time but just a little primitive in other aspects.  Anyway, when it was all said and done I pulled my Endura bumper (8 bolts) and then the grill (4 bolts & 9 screws). Removed and replaced the nozzles, hoses & tees back to the auxiliary headlight washer pump.  Again, appreciate the suggestions.
69 Z28 RS X33 50 A 713 Endura Console Rosewood