Author Topic: New Class for First Gens in AACA  (Read 4628 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
New Class for First Gens in AACA
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
We've received advance notice that AACA is establishing "generation" classes for Camaros. First Gens will be 34G
Cars already in a current class, including High Performance, can stay where they are, if preferred.  The big news in this is that Camaros will now have their own class.

*Corrected class #*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:34:01 AM by KurtS »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

maroman

• View Profile
Re: New Class for First Gens in AACA
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
Phil, does that mean all early Camaros will be in one class? Six cylinder and Yenco alike? I had not gotten this memo. Please explain more.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
All Camaros of each generation will be in their own class, which means 34G will be for 67, 68, 69. Currently registered cars can stay in their current class like 27H standard production, but that keeps them in a class with other manufacturers. The same is true for the current HP class for HP Chevy, etc. Not sure if 34G is for all. Haven't spoken directly with Herb. This info came to me from our region president. Anything else from me would be speculation.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:45:42 PM by lakeholme »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
Phil, does that mean all early Camaros will be in one class? Six cylinder and Yenco alike? I had not gotten this memo. Please explain more.

Okay, according to a post on the AACA Judging forum, Camaros will have their own HP class, as well. So that takes care of all lumped together.
And it is class 34, not 36. I typed it wrong earlier. Sorry!
I'm making a presentation (on a completely different issue) at Burlington, NC in January. That's where the first judging school will be and Herb will be there. Hopefully, they will share all the details there.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Thanks, keep us updated. I did not check the judging thread on AACA, will do that. Thanks. doug

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »
Phil, I just read the thread and the one about HPOF. Now I remember why I quit reading those threads. Nothing to do with Camaros, but I think I know which car Trimacar was talkiing about. It's had a total repaint and interior and still got an original HPOF award. Don't want this thread to go on a tangent so I'll stop.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Phil, I just read the thread and the one about HPOF. Now I remember why I quit reading those threads. Nothing to do with Camaros, but I think I know which car Trimacar was talkiing about. It's had a total repaint and interior and still got an original HPOF award. Don't want this thread to go on a tangent so I'll stop.
Wish I could say that never happens, but it does....
BTW, a couple of us from HNR have told the VP of Judging that leaving Zs off the HP list was a glaring error.  That should be corrected with the new Camaro HP class.  I've also pointed out that the 327 with a four barrel is incorrect unless that define the transmission.  The way it is written now a 327 with PG would qualify and a Z wouldn't.  I'll make a point of asking in January.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Phil, several years ago I challenged Impalas with 427 and 3-2's, which was in the book. I couldn't get a straight answer but it eventually disappeared. Don't rock the boat!!  If you remember the VW class I knew people involved with that fight. ALL VWs are now in one class, water and air cooled, buses, cabriolets, everything from 1936 up.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
Okay, January 2016 edition of The Judge clarifies the new Camaro classes for AACA.
34G is First Gen, 67-69
34H is Second Gen, 70-81
34I is Third Gen, 82-present (In AACA terms that means to 1991 this year.)
All Camaros, except for those in DPC, HPOF, or High Performance, will move to those classes.
The changes will not affect a car's current or future awards.
The VP of Judging says they have expanded High Performance class to include more of the 67 through 81 cars.
I think that means Zs will finally be listed as HP.  ;D
The good news here is that Camaros will now have their own classes.

anything