Author Topic: floor shifter  (Read 4761 times)

khunter

• View Profile
floor shifter
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
I have a 1968 SS 396/375 Camaro with a Factory bench front seat, the car has the POP,  I know that the car has the original Muncie shifter but it does not have the MUNCIE name in it? Does anyone have any information on this? one person told me that it could be a dealer replacement shifter.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: floor shifter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
Kurt S
CRG

L6Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »
Kurt,

I read the shifter section of your link.  I have had two 67s w/ the standard three speed and console (327/210 & 250/155).  Neither shifter had Muncie stamped on it.  As for the knobs, one had a black knob with the 3spd pattern stamped in the top, and the other has a chrome knob w/o a pattern (current car).  I am highly confident that the chrome knob is original to the car.  I'm not as sure the black knob was an original. 

I'm just curious about originality since the referenced article states that all knobs were black with the shift pattern imprinted.

Thanks,
Dan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:28 AM »
67's are not my expertise, but I'll ask the easy question - where is the shift pattern for the chrome knob car?
It has to be somewhere - either on the knob or on the console.
Kurt S
CRG

khunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
Kurt S, Thank you for that ref. That clears things up for me, by the way this car does have the black nob with white letters.

L6Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
67's are not my expertise, but I'll ask the easy question - where is the shift pattern for the chrome knob car?
It has to be somewhere - either on the knob or on the console.

The '67 consoles don't display the shift pattern, so with my chrome knob there is no pattern visible.  Interesting tidbit on displaying patterns.  The federal motor safety standard to this day still specifies that 3spd manuals don't have to display the pattern (mine is a 3psd):

"S3.2Manual transmissions. Identification of the shift lever pattern of manual transmissions, except three forward speed manual transmissions having the standard “H” pattern, shall be displayed in view of the driver at all times when a driver is present in the driver's seating position."

I've seen other 67 3spd console cars with a chrome knob throughout the years, so I just assumed the chrome knob was correct.  I know this knob has been in the car since early '71.  Guess it's possible someone changed it out early in its life.

Thanks,
Dan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
I have a 1968 SS 396/375 Camaro with a Factory bench front seat, the car has the POP,  I know that the car has the original Muncie shifter but it does not have the MUNCIE name in it? Does anyone have any information on this? one person told me that it could be a dealer replacement shifter.

If you have any interior pics that you could post or send to me, that would be awesome.  Thanks!
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
Is this the British Racing Green L78 car from Florida?  If not please contact me.  I would like to add your cars data to my registry/database.

khunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
Yes My car is the car in Florida.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 02:59:32 AM »
I may be wrong on 67 3-spd shifter knobs - someone needs to dig through part manuals, AIM, and original car pics.....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:35:24 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG