Author Topic: Dash lights - Test for headlight switch?  (Read 2170 times)

barsteel

• View Profile
Dash lights - Test for headlight switch?
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
Hello -

Since I have my '68 Z28 off the road for a brake system rebuild, I thought I'd tackle the non-working dash lights as well.

Yes, I read the thread on Camaros.net on how to fix your dash lights.  Here's where I am at the moment -

I pulled the instrument panel, went through all the steps, and found that I have no power going to the panel from the socket.  I know that the lights work because I used lines w/alligator clips to run power to the panel, and it lit up like a Christmas tree.

Question -

Should I simply assume that the headlight switch is bad and replace it?  I know that if the rheostat on the switch goes bad, it won't feed the dash lights.

Are there any other tests I can run to test if the headlight switch is bad before I buy a new switch?

Thanks...

Chris

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Dash lights - Test for headlight switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
Hello -

Since I have my '68 Z28 off the road for a brake system rebuild, I thought I'd tackle the non-working dash lights as well.

Yes, I read the thread on Camaros.net on how to fix your dash lights.  Here's where I am at the moment -

I pulled the instrument panel, went through all the steps, and found that I have no power going to the panel from the socket.  I know that the lights work because I used lines w/alligator clips to run power to the panel, and it lit up like a Christmas tree.

Question -

Should I simply assume that the headlight switch is bad and replace it?  I know that if the rheostat on the switch goes bad, it won't feed the dash lights.

Are there any other tests I can run to test if the headlight switch is bad before I buy a new switch?

Thanks...

Chris
Any reason why you wouldn't test the headlight switch also? With electrical you just keep tracing the power back until you find where the power stops. Either fix the connection, ground or fix/replace the part at that point.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Dash lights - Test for headlight switch?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:44 AM »
Test the harness plug that goes into the panel first for 12V and ground first before changing parts.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B