Author Topic: Rear panel blackout tape line verification  (Read 3232 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Rear panel blackout tape line verification
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »
Hello list,

After putting my 67 BB convertible restoration on hold due to family illnesses, I finally got the car in paint this past week. I have searched the CRG archives and could not find any closeup pictures of the rear tail light panel blackout tape line. Looking at my 67 LOS BB survivor, the tape line looks to be on the actual quarter panel side thereby exposing the seam sealer to blackout too. I wanted to see if NOR was the same way before I apply the blackout paint today (hopefully). Can someone please help me out with this one?

Thank You,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Rear panel blackout tape line verification
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »
  I was able to get the info and very closeup photos of an original blackout from a PM. It appears the process for NOR as well as LOS is to apply the tape to the quarter side thereby encompassing the seam sealer into the blackout too. I'm sure it may also depend on the taper performing the masking but I'm confident that as part of their initial training there was a suggested method and location where to apply the tape. It took me 20 minutes to carefully apply the tape where I am sure a line worker probably took 20 seconds as evident in the photos sent me as well as examining my LOS and seen the edge bleed through in some spots. Heck, I just found another run on the tail edge when examining the LOS tape line that I never knew was there until now.  It's amazing what the factory let through back then as QC goes but that's part of the allure of those cars today.

Mike

Sauron327

• View Profile

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for chiming in. I had seen that post already but unfortunately I didn't see any up-close pictures of the tape line that hugs the edge of the rear panel. I needed a real closeup of a NOR to compare it to my LOS car. Several closeups were supplied to me in a PM that clearly showed the lines.
  This is indeed an interesting topic in regards to gloss levels. I ended up using PPG DCC with the DX685 flattening agent mixed to 30% gloss (eggshell per PPG) and shot the rockers, tail blackout and firewall. I figured the way Fisher did it at the paint shop was by using the same batch of gloss. Besides, when I compare a section of the blackout that was under the LOS survivor tail light bezel gasket to the 30% gloss I sprayed, it looks the same.

Thanks again,
Mike

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:12 AM »
Can you submit photos of the ones sent to you? If not, send them to me and I will post them. It seems very easy to just drag the tape from the end of the quarter seam to the gutter. I have better photos but they are in another file.  Knowing that the factory did not assemble or paint cars with extreme accuracy, I would doubt anyone would rip your tapeline to shreds if it was 1/16" off from another car.

By the way, PPG has a bus color deck with various gloss levels from which to choose.

anything