Author Topic: Camaros spotted on MSN article  (Read 8234 times)

z28z11

• View Profile
Camaros spotted on MSN article
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:07 AM »
If I can get this link to work, check out Mr. Shauger's collection from an article on MSN about Hershey muscle cars:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-midsize/top-three-most-collectible-1969-chevrolet-camaros-on-the-planet-z-28-l78-and-copo/ar-BBmgDkD

Not bad, not bad at all, Steve - I wouldn't kick them out of the garage for acting up.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Camaros spotted on MSN article
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:00:12 AM »
Steve's cars are alright.... if you like super rare numbers matching cars that have been restored back to new.... ;)

(nice article)

I wonder what cars were traded?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:00:40 AM »
Wow!! :P
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »
Great article!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
In addition to having some great Camaros, Steve is a very nice fella as well!   
(I just hope he didn't trade/sell his Halloween Z28 to get those demon-dark Camaros.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
All very nice cars. I remember seeing the COPO debut at the Camaro Nationals in 2008.
There was something about the trim tag I wanted to ask the experts about, as I was pretty new at analyzing them at the time. Anyone have a picture of that COPO trim tag?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
Gary, the great pumpkin isn't going anywhere. It took me 25 years to get her back. Just an FYI...I took the orange Z out a couple of weeks ago, after a long day of hosting a car show & finishing my honey-doo list. It was just before dusk and I was going to thrash the car a bit, in fact I didn't take my wallet or cell phone. Well after 15 minutes of cruising to get the engine up to temperature, I started driving it like I stole it. After a couple of launches I hit second gear and oops I heard a bang and I coasted to a stop. I thought I might have snapped a u-joint, but they were intact. I rotated the drive shaft and knew I had damaged the rear. I noticed a garage door opened and asked the home owner if I could use his phone. I had the car towed home and upon inspection of the rear cover found a bolt protruding through.

To make a long story short I snapped the 12 ring gear bolts. The car originally had 373's and the original owner installed 410's (they are GM gears dated 5/69 car 9A) prior to my purchase in 1978. I had assumed he kept the 3 series carrier and installed the 410's with a spacer and that's what I found. I disassembled axle and ordered new gears (373's) and bearings from Randy's. Just finished installing the rear axle Saturday and everything worked out perfect.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
Well post pic of the car then..... :)

(also what original cars were traded as mentioned in the article?)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
Gary, the great pumpkin isn't going anywhere. It took me 25 years to get her back. Just an FYI...I took the orange Z out a couple of weeks ago, after a long day of hosting a car show & finishing my honey-doo list. It was just before dusk and I was going to thrash the car a bit, in fact I didn't take my wallet or cell phone. Well after 15 minutes of cruising to get the engine up to temperature, I started driving it like I stole it. After a couple of launches I hit second gear and oops I heard a bang and I coasted to a stop. I thought I might have snapped a u-joint, but they were intact. I rotated the drive shaft and knew I had damaged the rear. I noticed a garage door opened and asked the home owner if I could use his phone. I had the car towed home and upon inspection of the rear cover found a bolt protruding through.

To make a long story short I snapped the 12 ring gear bolts. The car originally had 373's and the original owner installed 410's (they are GM gears dated 5/69 car 9A) prior to my purchase in 1978. I had assumed he kept the 3 series carrier and installed the 410's with a spacer and that's what I found. I disassembled axle and ordered new gears (373's) and bearings from Randy's. Just finished installing the rear axle Saturday and everything worked out perfect.

Steve, I'm glad you still have the 'great pumpkin/Halloween car'.. someday we need to let yours and mine 'meet'.. :)

If you found a problem with a prior gear install and all it harmed was the diff cover, I'd say you were lucky..  assuming the 3rd member otherwise was undamaged (snd it's the original one?).. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 05:53:10 PM »

Steve, I'm glad you still have the 'great pumpkin/Halloween car'.. someday we need to let yours and mine 'meet'.. :)

If you found a problem with a prior gear install and all it harmed was the diff cover, I'd say you were lucky..  assuming the 3rd member otherwise was undamaged (snd it's the original one?).. :)

It is amazing that there was no damage other than the rear cover. In fact the 410 gears are perfect. I just wanted to put the orig ratio in because I drive that car quite a bit. The carrier/posi was inspected and looked fine. The bolts snapped in half and there weren't any metal shavings. Yes I'd say I was lucky. My guess is some of the bolts loosened over time which contributed to the failure.   
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
 If I ever see any of those cars "out east" on the island then I'll know who they belong to.
Congratulations on a fine article and your gems.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
Well post pic of the car then..... :)

(also what original cars were traded as mentioned in the article?)

Heres the link, my post with the car history is post #2149

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/395187#Post395187

Steve Shauger

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
nice. thanks for the link.

I will just have to inquire about the ret when I see you at the Chicago show one of these days.... ;)

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »
All very nice cars. I remember seeing the COPO debut at the Camaro Nationals in 2008.
There was something about the trim tag I wanted to ask the experts about, as I was pretty new at analyzing them at the time. Anyone have a picture of that COPO trim tag?

Here's a picture I just took with my phone. I have a better one pre-restoration with the paint removed, but I need to locate it.
Steve Shauger

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
Halloween cars, yup got one myself! :)  The orange Z is looking good!  Here is mine