Author Topic: emission sticker reproduction  (Read 21184 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
emission sticker reproduction
« on: October 22, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
This reproduction isn't even close. Font is wrong, spacing is wrong, and its not even the correct size. As bad as the original is, I don't want to replace it with something that doesn't match. A sticker is so simple, how can they not make a correct reproduction? Arghh.

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: emission sticker reproduction
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
Yep. Just started going through this with mine. I have my original core support with sticker intact so I have something to compare it to like you. Awful... I just got my replacement in the mail recently and hadn't looked at it closely until I visited a guy with a 69 RS/SS 350 down in Ohio last weekend who is finishing up a resto. He used the a/m one and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm tossing around the idea of not running one because it looks so bad. It's not even just the font, but the sticker looks so cheap that it will start pealing in a week.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
I think I'm going to see how the decals are that a guy on the Chevelle site has made.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock/69ss/frame.html
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »
Wow. Thanks! I just sent him an email to buy one.

Andy

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
Yes! Don Lightfoot makes the best quality reproduction emission and jacking decals and a nice guy too.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »
Wow. Thanks! I just sent him an email to buy one.

Andy
You're welcome!

Yes! Don Lightfoot makes the best quality reproduction emission and jacking decals and a nice guy too.
Good to know. Thanks! I'd heard his name around before, but I wasn't sure.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:22:29 AM »
Yeah he does great work and stands by it. He discovered a problem with some production quality a few years back and sent me replacements on new media free of charge.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 03:26:40 AM »
Have sent Don original info and have purchased from him several times. Numerous threads concerning Don's work and he has in the past visited and made posts with questions and/or information.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
Thanks to Don Lightfoot! Much better... My only concern is durability. Those of you who have bought them and installed them, does the ink hold up? Are you preserving them in anyway? ie. Clear coat? How about affixing them? Do you rely on just the label glue it comes with?
abiddle, your a/m label was even much better than mine! Check out my comparison pics below. My a/m one was even stamped GM licensed. What a joke... Have you received yours? What do you think?
Sorry I can't get the two pics to rotate for some reason...

-Dave

My original:

Can you guess which one is which? Wow...

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
Not received yet.  :(

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
Figured I would jump in here.  Thanks for the kind words above.

Dave, as far as adhesion you should not have any problems. I've had one on my 69 Chevelle for about six years now with no issues. I suppose if you take a wet sponge to it once a week or something there would be some problems. For me all that touches it is a duster.

I've done a lot of these various emission decals for my customers with different engines and cars.  One customer actually asked me to laminate his which I was glad to do.  However, in my opinion, it would just not look right.

Another note for the Z/28 emission CF decal (which is not yours Dave), they had three different styles for the Z and I only do the most common one.

Having said all that, I do notice a problem with the CG decal (the one you have Dave). I went back again today and reviewed all the pictures of originals I have on file.  There should be an "underline" under the word "each" on the sixth line from the top.  I will try to get that corrected and, if I can, I will send you a new one. Also, I'll send you a laminated one as well and you can decide which one you want to use.

Below is a picture from my website showing comparisons of this CG decal.

WEBSITE
Specialized Chevrolet Decals

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
Don, are your emissions stickers printed on paper or vinyl?   My original is NOT paper... seems to be a form of vinyl...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
Don, are your emissions stickers printed on paper or vinyl?

Paper
WEBSITE

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 02:51:59 PM »
Figured I would jump in here.  Thanks for the kind words above.

Dave, as far as adhesion you should not have any problems. I've had one on my 69 Chevelle for about six years now with no issues. I suppose if you take a wet sponge to it once a week or something there would be some problems. For me all that touches it is a duster.

I've done a lot of these various emission decals for my customers with different engines and cars.  One customer actually asked me to laminate his which I was glad to do.  However, in my opinion, it would just not look right.

Another note for the Z/28 emission CF decal (which is not yours Dave), they had three different styles for the Z and I only do the most common one.

Having said all that, I do notice a problem with the CG decal (the one you have Dave). I went back again today and reviewed all the pictures of originals I have on file.  There should be an "underline" under the word "each" on the sixth line from the top.  I will try to get that corrected and, if I can, I will send you a new one. Also, I'll send you a laminated one as well and you can decide which one you want to use.

Below is a picture from my website showing comparisons of this CG decal.

I did catch the underline Don. I was going to email you about it just as an FYI. I appreciate the correction and you sending out a new one and the laminated one. I'm going as correct as I can, but not Concourse... so maybe the laminated might work better for me. I'll have to see. Thanks a lot for doing that.
I don't plan on scrubbing mine, but I just wanted to know that if it got wet it wouldn't smear. Fading over time or not holding up to abuse is to be expected if that's what happens. I'm sure it will be fine.
abiddle, I'm sure yours will arrive soon. I'm in Michigan, so it's just a hop skip and a jump for shipping from Don.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
I am posting these pictures primarily for the benefit of Gary.  The lower decal in each picture is laminated which will provide better durability.  However, as mentioned previously, in my opinion it just doesn’t look right.  The laminated one also has a bit of a Yellow tint to it which may not show up in the pictures.  Also, for effect, one picture is taken with the reflection of a light while the other is not.

Anyway, these are your replacements Dave and should go out in the mail tomorrow.

WEBSITE