Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

firewall chalk - how did this look originally

(1/6) > >>

abiddle:
How does this look original, any examples? Is this a crayon and is it pre-paint? Or was this post-paint and someone has just rubbed it clean? I don't know what to think about this. Actually it took me all these years to figure out it said "RED". Duh.

william:
During body fab Fisher Body workers wrote certain codes/notes on the firewall with grease pencil prior to any paint being applied. It stained the metal and is visible if the car is media blasted. Firewall blackout was applied after the car was painted. Paint doesn't adhere well to grease pencil and over time the writing becomes visible. Would have been no reason to write "RED" or anything else across the firewall of a body that was already built and painted.   

It is not unusual to see a build sequence number written inside the lower grille panel. Possibly done to ease matching the body with the front sheet metal assembly. I have a vintage road test photo of a Nickey/Bill Thomas 427 '68 Camaro and there is definitely something on the firewall behind the engine; appears to be 48 E. Could have been SOP to write it there also and later wipe it off.

Also, '69 COPO Camaros often have '427' written inside the front fender extensions.

abiddle:
I didn't think much about this until I saw this pic Chick's Z\28 survivor thread.

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/1-2-b-67L89/media/Survivor%20Camaros/100_9309_zpsabd7c1cb.jpg.html

Stingr69:
Mine says "RGRN" for Rally Green.  Sorry I do not have pix.

BillOhio:
I thought I did this earlier but doesn't seem to be here. My burgandy car had MAR and several other things under the paint. N10 dual exhaust was easy to see. This is after soda blasting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page