Author Topic: 83 Camaro Rattles  (Read 4789 times)

69-er

• View Profile
83 Camaro Rattles
« on: December 02, 2006, 03:00:26 PM »
My 83 T-Top Z/28 was tight as a drum when I ordered it new from the factory.  It took just a few years for the rattles to start.  Is this common to all Third gens or just the T-Top cars?  I can jack up one corner of the car and can see the doors go out of alignment, so it definitely flexes.  I'm really not sure if it's just the body, as I can hear the back hatch and doors rattle too.  It seems like I can remember my wife's 82 Camaro 6 cylinder coupe not being near as noisy as mine when it was about the same age.

Larry

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: 83 Camaro Rattles
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:47:15 AM »
My '87 IROC groans from the hatch area sometimes when I go over a curb, and I don't have T-tops. It only has 65k on the odometer. I just turn the radio up! All Camaros flex, but I have no rattles. Your '83 is like us all--we acquire rattles and groans as we age. Drive it and enjoy it, and take those T-tops out on a summer night and enjoy the warm air and a bright moon. With Bob Seger at full volume you won't hear the rattles anyway.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

69-er

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:47:13 PM »
Now that's the best advice I've gotten so far!  Easier than sub frame connectors.  I don't take off the tops enough.  It's weird, with the tops off it's noisier, maybe because of the wind, but seems quieter rattle-wise.  It does have 200,000 miles on it.

Larry

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 05:40:07 PM »
Go back and read some Consumer Reports articles about cars in the 80s.  They all rattled.  The phrase "Body by Fisher" had long lost its meaning.  Up to that point my daily driver was always a Chevy.  But in 85 I gave in... And yes, I'm still driving a Japanese sport's car to work...
Hotrod is right. Take the T-tops off and enjoy it.  When someone rides in my 68 and asks about that rattle in the back, I tell them it's "character"...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director