Author Topic: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer  (Read 41399 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:15 AM »
Here's another shot of Bill Petree in the car during the 1969 ARRC race. This is from a Champion spark plug ad.

Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Here's another shot of Bill Petree in the car during the 1969 ARRC race. This is from a Champion spark plug ad.

Fantastic, Jon!  Now to find a few photos of the car when raced by Marshall Robbins (in 1970)...  It was orange/black #24 when driven by Marshall...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
Interesting ad from Minneapolis Craigslist implying this is the former Bill Petree '69 race car.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5251343895.html

Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
I placed a posting of this ad on the Trans-Am page on Facebook, knowing Marshall Robbins and Scott Dunbar would see it. Both agree its not the car the owner is suggesting it to be, and Scott contacted the seller about it. The ad has since been changed with any reference to its apparent racing history now removed.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 03:41:35 AM »
Thanks a bunch for doing that, Steve!
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »
I placed a posting of this ad on the Trans-Am page on Facebook, knowing Marshall Robbins and Scott Dunbar would see it. Both agree its not the car the owner is suggesting it to be, and Scott contacted the seller about it. The ad has since been changed with any reference to its apparent racing history now removed.
I'm sorry to sound any any way critical--being that I know next to nothing compared to most of you guys...

...but I really think that given the significance of these cars today and their estimated values, people should be a little more careful with what they purport their cars to be.
It's so easy to say something, and yet so hard to prove it...guess people just want to make a quick buck[but it's not that easy].

Either you do the research to prove it to the buyer(s), or someones going to shoot you down....how do you want it?

:-\ :-X
Nick

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2015, 02:46:13 AM »
John Mello - The person who placed the craigslist ad claims to have purchased the firewall tags from our former Camaro from the person we sold the Camaro to back in 1984.  That was the basis of his claim of owning/restoring our former Camaro and having "documentation" and having racing history.  The car in the photos he placed in his craigslist ad is an SS Camaro he purchased in California that never sniffed a race track.  The tags off our Camaro are Z28 body tags.  Rest assured he will try to sell the Z28 body tags to someone who has a car they intend to claim as something it is not...  The misrepresentation of this car as our former car is resolved - but I fear another misrepresentation by this person is likely to occur in the future ...

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:57 AM »
Marshall has shared a few photos of our former Camaro from his 1970 race season with the car...

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2015, 03:07:04 AM »
Another photo from Marshall...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »
Scott, thanks for filling us in on that background story and I'm glad you were able to get that guy to back off his fraudulent claim. It's too bad there are people out there who are always trying to pull a fast one but life just seems to be that way no matter what your hobbies or interests are.

Thanks also for posting those photos of the car when Marshall Robbins owned it. They're terrific.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
great photos of the Robbins Camaro ! is the first colour photo at Daytona, the garages look familiar ? Marshall is a really nice guy, he was kind enough  to recently answer some questions I had on the ex Chaparral Camaro he drove.

Mike (group/7)

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 02:53:42 PM »
Scott, thanks for filling us in on that background story and I'm glad you were able to get that guy to back off his fraudulent claim. It's too bad there are people out there who are always trying to pull a fast one but life just seems to be that way no matter what your hobbies or interests are.

Thanks also for posting those photos of the car when Marshall Robbins owned it. They're terrific.

Before I introduced myself to the guy, he claimed to have letters of authenticity from both my father and from Marshall - which, of course, he did not...  Marshall thought we should take a drive to Minnesota and do a citizens arrest!  lol...

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »
great photos of the Robbins Camaro ! is the first colour photo at Daytona, the garages look familiar ? Marshall is a really nice guy, he was kind enough  to recently answer some questions I had on the ex Chaparral Camaro he drove.

Mike (group/7)

Mike,

The first photo posted of the Camaro in Marshall's paint scheme is outside Bill Spangler's shop in Indianapolis.  Bill maintained the Camaro as well as many other of Marshall's race cars over the years.  Great guy and tremendous fabricator/mechanic.  RIP, Bill....

anything