Author Topic: Source for convertible ram rebuilds?  (Read 3255 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Source for convertible ram rebuilds?
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:05:09 PM »
Hello list,

I need to have the two rams for my 67 convertible rebuilt being one leaks intermittently. Is there a recommended source for this type of service that someone has used? I see replacements for sale on E-Bay but I'd rather have the original ones rebuilt. Also, the clear hydraulic lines (well...yellow now from age) are still original and even though they show no signs of leakage or stress cracks I am wondering if they should be replaced being they are old now. It's one of those things where you try to maintain a fine balance between what to keep intact for the sake of originality and yet be practical in maintenance due to wear/age. I assume these are nylon lines and they get brittle with age? What would you do?

Thank you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Source for convertible ram rebuilds?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:40:09 PM »
Hey Mike I restored a 65 Mustang convertible 2 years ago. It also had a leak in one cylinder and the lines were starting to look brittle. I was knew I was selling the car, so I replaced only the leaking cylinder and installed new line. If it was a car i was planning to keep I would have replaced both cylinders, and the line.
 when you raise and lower the top you want both cylinders pulling their fair share, so getting both done would seem the way to go. When I removed the old line it had hairline cracks developing, and with how messy that hydraulic fluid can be, I would just rather do it all with the rear interior out, then go cheap and pay for it later. (make sure you properly bleed the lines when replacing a cylinder or installing new line)

Hope this helps.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
U can probably get the nylon line at a Parker Store hyd supply & take cyl to a hydraulic shop & match up the seals as long as the rod is not rusty or scored .

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:48:36 PM »
The pre cut line with the fittings may cost a little more, but I didn't want a leak, just for saving a couple of bucks. To much can go wrong and having a leak inside the car is a whole different can of worms, than outside of the body, where some rags and saw dust would take care of it. Just my 2 cents
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »
   I found a place called Convertible Top Guys that has a ram which looks exact. That's the only way I would use a non-original part. I can't find any stamping on the original ones so an exact reproduction would suffice.
   I'm going to change the lines too being they are likely brittle and I don't want a mess if one ruptures. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they offer a rebuilding service on the ram because the chrome rods looks excellent. If I buy the replacements I'll take side-by-side photos between the originals and repro for future CRG searches on this topic.

Thanks for your replies!
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
  If the rods are good they shouldn't be to bad to reseal yourself .....

anything