Author Topic: CAVITY WAX AND SEAM SEALING  (Read 2091 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
CAVITY WAX AND SEAM SEALING
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:39:30 AM »
This question concerns the areas of my '68 body shell that will still need some sort of sealant applied.

The body shell of my '68 was pretty much torn down to the skeleton and rebuilt with new panels. The following items are new......main floor, trunk floor, trunk drop offs, inner and outer rockers, frame rails, quarter panels, door skins, torque boxes, and dash top.......So pretty much all of the factory sealant was gone and we had to start sealing from scratch.

The car has been painted and I am slowly re-assembling now. I need to get any remaining sealing done before I get much further.

We have redone the seam sealing in the following areas.....any joint on the exterior of the body shell that was sealed at the factory was re-sealed before paint, all of the interior main floor and trunk floor joints are done, (main floor to rockers, main floor to firewall, main floor to trunk floor, trunk floor to wheel houses, trunk floor to tail panel, and any brackets attached to the main and trunk floors.)  I might have left something out.

I know I need to put cavity wax inside the bottom of the of the doors at the door skin to inner door structure joint....and the corresponding joint behind the door under the quarter window. From what I have read, it seems like a good idea to spray cavity wax inside of the rocker panels also.

So I am wondering what I have missed? This will mostly be a fair weather car but I won't rule out it ever seeing rain so I want to protect it the best I can.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks........Dave

anything