Author Topic: 1969 Camaro dealer accessories - tachometer  (Read 18994 times)

PURESS

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro dealer accessories - tachometer
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
07A ...no pictures(sorry)....centerline I believe..car is in storage..going by memory...I believe it is pebble grain

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
http://www.wirebarn.com/18-AWG-GXL-AUTOMOTIVE-WIRE_c_15.html

I like wirebarn & have purchased nice varieties & bundles from them.

I am finding it difficult to locate "GRAY" pvc or vinyl tubing

Just a suggestion

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

cook_dw

• View Profile

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Thanks! That tach is very blue, same color as his 1970 Nova (youtube link at the bottom of his post). I think we should assume the accessory tach was originally black. Also I noticed he has a dash tach, so he must have changed his mind about the accessory tach. Since this is a dealer add-on, I don't think they would have been painted before install.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:11 AM »
Confessional. To run the wiring for this tach to the coil, I clipped the firewall grommet between the heater box and coil. :( I'm hoping that's what a dealer would have done during the install.

The good news, after tearing it apart twice I finally got the finicky thing to work. Light and all, very cool.

Andy

grantsat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Abiddle - I have an original GM accessory tach that came with my car and I'm the second owner of a 69 Camaro SS. My tach has the "GM" embossed logo, I am extremely confident this came with the car. I took it out years ago and shelved it but now being original to the car I am going to re-install it but I don't have the wiring diagram either. (blue, blk, orange, white) did you ever figure out the correct wiring?

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Yes wiring diagram above. If you can't read those pics let me know, I'll email them.

And I bought 25' of each of the 4 colors of wire on EBAY, I got lucky and they are a perfect match to the original wire. PM me if you need wire. I already had an electrical connection kit which was overpriced, but I had several bad wire connections and I wanted to keep all my original lights and wires, so it was alot cheaper to fix the connections. I also bought an original wiring harness many moons ago, and I've been using bulbs, wires, connectors and fuses from that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371139745619?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's a pic of my connections to the fuse panel. On each connection I added a pigtail for future connections, which I needed for the console clock accessory.
In the pic you see Blue for lights (used the pigtail for the console clock light). Black for power on ignition. And ignore the orange up above, that's power for the console clock.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
grantsat - could you post a pic of your GM tach? Is it pebble grain with a blueish tint, almost black? I still have my GM one, I may refurbish and rewire it to sell but its in pretty bad shape internally.

grantsat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
 Abiddle - Thanks so much for the offer I might take you up on that when I get ready to install the tach. I know there is a guy in RI that rebuilds these and mine is in tough shape as you can see by the pictures. I'm just new to this site and can't believe what a great resource this is and hats off to all the people who put it together and contribute, it makes it much more fun to restore my car knowing there is a nice bunch of knowledgeable people to talk to. Bare with me and I'll try and get these pictures on the site.
I hope this helps you.
Grant

grantsat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »
Also a picture of the original Tach accessory mount if this helps too.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
Yes that's the same pebble grain as my GM one but your's is flat black. Which makes sense, these should all be black and some folks painted them to match their interior.

Any idea how much the rebuild will be? I have one as well that might be worth rebuilding and selling. If you do rebuild it, get the marker painted with florescent paint or whatever dials should get. The one thing that bugs me on mine (not refurbished) is that the marker isn't visible at night because the light is backlit - I can only see it when it passes over the rpm lines. Not that I use the tach for anything meaningful anyway, its just annoying.

grantsat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
 Hey Andy - I am looking into the rebuild mine now and I'll let you know the cost. Thanks for the headsup on the marker, never thought of that. I do like the in dash tach look but the price is a bit of a deterrent and the car didn't come with it, I also agree if you don't know when to shift you'll have bigger problems. My car is just in now for paint and a new cont. top to follow so I have to write some hefty check soon. check out the Instument Specialites Inc they appear to do some nice instrument work. Last night I checked over all the posting from everyone and saw the wiring pics and comment, I guess I just jumped to your post without looking around at the others.
Very nice job with your wiring btw....when can I drop my car off?

Thanks again I'll keep you posted.

Grant

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
Feel free to drop it off after the paint is done, I'll be happy to care for it.  ;D

grantsat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
Thanks...half the fun is doing by your self ...right? Paint and convertible tops I confess are beyond my limitations though and maybe be tachometer overhauls too.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2022, 05:58:13 PM »
I know this posting is almost 7 years old, but replying anyway. I picked this up in Carlisle 20 or so years ago with some other dealer and rare things. Thank you so much for the pictures, as they are a tremendous help. Abiddle, it’s there any chance you have a copy or non fuzzy pictures of the assembly instructions? I was going to convert my 68 6 cylinder to tic-toc and gauges, but finding this thread made my decision easy……and a lot cheaper.