Author Topic: Fuse block clips - repair or replace ???  (Read 20492 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Fuse block clips - repair or replace ???
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
Hi  Brian,

Feel free to use them.  :)

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
I am the original poster of this thread........Mike is lucky that Lectric Limited was able to reproduce all of the connectors on the back of his fuse block (crimped and blade) with the same as his original.

On my reproduction fuse block, four of the connections on the back that were originally a blade were replaced with crimped connectors. (See my pics above) I was told by Lectric Limited that those blade connectors are no longer made. So I had to cut four good corresponding blade connectors off of my wiring harness, splice on new wire, and crimp it to the new crimped connector.

I wonder why the slightly different style of blade connectors on Mike's fuse block ('67) are still available and those on mine ('68) are not.

Dave

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
Dave I'm willing to guess that the stock of the 69 - 80 style connectors is newer and as soon as the 65-68 GM corporate blocks dwindle the next batch of replacements will be more universal.

I thought that you and I had talked about the creation and use of universal spade fittings - barrel that inserts into the crimp, crimp and solder, then attach lead as usual to the spade end. My only fear would be clearance behind but having never used either the panel or the universal fittings which can be easily made.  I may have this conversation confused with someone over at TC, or one of the general GM forums at AutoGuide.

In any event this topic and the re-purposing of connections in the bulkhead connector are a few of the electrical item project documentations I have been tinkering with for a revised tech section at TC.  I'm sorry I thought I had asked you if I could use your photos as well. In any event both of you have saved the harness and replaced the panels which was the goal. I'll have to cough up some cash and buy one and see if the universals that were presented to me would work and fit behind the panel. Thanks Dave.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
 Could the difference in Dave's fuse panel be a factory revision change and he was sent the one that superseded his panel version?
I found this in the FAQ on Lectric's site and though that maybe this was the reason. It targets the harness but I wonder if the fuse panel would also be subject to change.

Q- Why does the harness I just bought appear different from my original harness?

A-Keep in mind that all Lectric Limited harnesses are built using the most current General Motors blueprint revisions.  (What this means is that, for example, in 1968 there may have been three revisions to the dash harness - revisions that were sometimes made after the prior versions were already installed in cars.).  Lectric Limited uses the most current blueprint revisions to assure that your new harness has the most current function and safety revisions integrated into the harness.

Just a thought.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
69-Pace....it was not me that you had the discussion with.  I love the idea though of crimping and soldering an adapter to the crimped connector to be able to use the original blade connector from the harness. I wish I had thought of that. I probably could have rigged something up......and please feel free to use my photos also.

Mike S....you could be right with your theory. Lectric Limited did tell me though that they replaced those blades with crimped connectors because the blades were no longer available. American Autowire told me the same thing.

It's funny though, they don't seem to using old GM stock for the blade connectors where running out of old stock could cause a change to something else. The blade connectors that were retained in the new fuse block are obviously newly manufactured and are different in style from the original GM. So I wonder why the blade connectors that were changed to crimped couldn't be newly manufactured also.

Dave

Dave

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 05:10:03 AM »
I thought I would show a couple of pictures of my existing harness connected to the new fuse block. Taking a picture before it was taken apart was a great guide in making sure it went back together correctly.

I had to splice a new piece of wire onto every wire that was a crimped connection since I had to cut the old crimped connectors off making the wires too short. There is an electronics and hardware surplus store in Orlando called Skycraft that has all kinds of great stuff. Huge supplies of wire in all colors and gauges sold by the foot. I was able to buy a one foot piece of every wire I needed in the correct color and gauge for about $1.30.

I also had to rent a pair of correct crimpers from American Autowire since I didn't want to invest lots of money into a one time use tool.

It will be a while before everything is back together and I get to test my work. I hope when I blow the horn, the windshield wipers don't turn on! :)

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »
Nice job! Thanks for the update.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator