Author Topic: Fuse block clips - repair or replace ???  (Read 20559 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Fuse block clips - repair or replace ???
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:08:06 AM »
My under dash wiring harness is in near perfect shape except for the fuse clips in the fuse block. The were pretty corroded and also had some light rust in areas. I sprayed them with De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner. It helped but they still looked rough. I tried to get at them with a little wire wheel on a Dremel tool. You really couldn't get to the inside of the clip that well and now some the plating has stared to come off the outer edges of the some of the clips.

I did put a fuse in each socket and then tested for continuity between the clips. I was good at every socket but I just don't trust them looking like they do.

Can you buy these fuse clips anywhere? Can you buy the fuse block...or just the interior side of the fuse block.....without  having to buy the harness itself.

I hate to spend $450 for a new harness when the only thing wrong is a few dollars worth of clips.

Thanks.....Dave

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Fuse block clips - repair or replace ???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:17:35 AM »
Not my expertise, but I would think that copper plating these would be the trick and I recall that Cu plating is an easy at home DIY project.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 02:21:41 AM »
We use this product to "Restore" plating on Aircraft Carrier electrical distribution copper bussing, might just work.

http://www.cool-amp.com/cool_amp.html

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Not that I have tried it but I think I would use a small brush and Evaporust. Then a light coat of spray oil. I would spray or dip with the evaporust because it might damage the letters.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
After considering the different way I could go with this and the pros and cons, I decided to purchase a "fusebox repair kit from Lectric Limited.

34625 FUSE BLOCK REPAIR KIT****, new fuse block, including buss bars ****In order to provide the correct fuse block, you must tell us the Lectric Limited part # of the Dash Harness that would use this fuse block, based on the configuration of your vehicle (See Wire Harnesses & Lead Wires section). If a Dash Harness is not available, or the Dash Harness states that a fuse block is required, then we do not offer the Fuse Block Repair Kit for your application. This item is non-returnable***

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:40:17 AM »
How did it work out for you?
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
Not finished yet and ran into an unexpected problem.

There are thirteen wires connected to the back of the fuse block. Six wires are crimped directly to the fuse clips. Seven have a "flag" terminal on the end of the wire.  Those are pushed on a "blade" terminal on the back of the fuse block. (Not sure if my terminology is right here.)

When I received the new fuse block I saw that four of the seven blade terminals had been replaced with crimped connectors. I wasn't too happy about that seeing as I would have to cut four perfectly good flag terminals off of my wires, splice on new wire, and then attach them to crimped connectors. I called Lectric Limited to ask why this was and they told me those four specific blade connectors aren't made any more.

So I called AAW who can also supply a new fuse block to see if theirs would be any different and they confirmed that if I ordered a fuse block from them, they also could not get those specific connectors either and that  I would be in the same boat.

So it is what it is.......more work that I expected but I'll get it done. I really thought Lectric Limited should have included this information in their product description.

Dave

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Yeah does sounds like it should be a standard disclosure but all may not be lost.
Is it possible if you flatten out the crimp the same width and thickness of the "tab" of the old panel that your "flag" will fit tight?
TeamCamaro - Moderator

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
I thought about that but was a little skittish about bending the crimped connector 90 degrees for fear of weakening it or breaking it.  I've already made the cuts and spliced new wire. I just have to do the crimps now.....I'm fine!  Thanks!

Dave

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
ok. Just for comparison value, did you happen to shoot some photos of the fronts of the panels side by side?
TeamCamaro - Moderator

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:22:19 AM »
There is some ribbing or reinforcements on the exterior of the block that is not on the original but it's not important. It snaps together fine with the bulkhead and everything seems to be correct.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
It does look impressive and it is a very nice reproduction to be sure. Glad to see they have continued the quality in these days of cheaper is good enough. 

I think but I'm not sure the rails or ribbing added on the sides are for auxiliary boards to slide into which expand your power options but used the power leads next to the original fuses so you really are not getting extra capacity, just neater way to add optional accessories. I haven't seen them around in a long time, maybe it was a corvette thing.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:26 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I found myself in the same situation. The fuse block has seen its days and unfortunately I had to replace it after trying to clean the contact of the large rust failed. I even broke some of the original color band fuses as they were seized on the clips badly.
    I got the repair kit from Lectric Limited for my 67 05B NOR convertible (manual/floor w/console gauges). Here are pictures of the two side by side. Aside from the fonts being slightly thinner on the new one, the overall look is accurate enough for me with only minor differences in some body molded shapes. The nice thing are the connectors on the back are the same as the original (I am reusing the original flasher connectors).
  I am posting for the sake of future searches.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »
More side views....
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
Mike - Great documentation. Mind if I grab the photos and post as a sticky over at Team Camaro?

Brian
TeamCamaro - Moderator