Author Topic: Radio delete  (Read 7069 times)

BillG

• View Profile
Radio delete
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »
My 03B Pace car came from the factory with no radio.  When I bought it it had an 1972 AM/FM radio in it.  The previous owner also placed a rear antenna which we know is not possible with D80.  Born with drive train, but no docs.   My question is would you return it to radio delete, leave it as is , or put an original radio in it?  I listen to radio sometimes, but it's not a big deal to me.  just wondering what you think.
Bill Garrett

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Radio delete
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
Hey Bill,

I assume you are planning to keep and enjoy the car. So if your plan is to restore it to original, the answer would be to remove the rear antenna and run radio delete plate. The key here is how you the owner is going to enjoy the car. If you want the radio to enjoy it maybe cheat a little bit and install a stealth one in the glove box and hide an antenna?
Just a side note I have a standard AM radio car, and debated on installing a AM/FM, and went so far to purchase am original 69 blue light radio to pull it off with a stock look.
Now for my enjoyment of my car I weighed the pros and cons, which was easy, I listen to the harmonious sounds coming from the engine when I drive. So that combined with how sub par the radio stations are in northern indiana made the choice easy for me.

Hope this helps. :)

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
If you have no docs and you drive it why go to the trouble?
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
I agree with Kelly, if it were a show car and you had the documentation, then removing it and going delete would be the logical choice but on a non papers daily driver, you need a radio :)
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
I think it is fine to leave a radio in it.

Now technically, I believe radios in First Gen Camaros are optional (even though most got one) so really there is no such thing as "radio delete". That is a term we may occasionally hear and I even have to correct myself sometimes on that.

Just saying... :)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »

Now technically, I believe radios in First Gen Camaros are optional (even though most got one) so really there is no such thing as "radio delete". That is a term we may occasionally hear and I even have to correct myself sometimes on that.

In the Corvette world, where radios were also always optional, we wrestle with the same terminology issue - we call them "no radio cars", but the less knowledgeable folks still call them "radio delete".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »
Well back in the day would a customer have had to purposely not checked the box for radio, for it not to come with one? I assume dealers and the factory always put one in?
Seems like 99% of all makes and models had them
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
Tunes were popular in the 60,s. I remember buying an eight track player for my 61 impala in 69 and putting one in everything I bought after that. AM radio option was also cheap.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »

In the Corvette world, where radios were also always optional, we wrestle with the same terminology issue - we call them "no radio cars", but the less knowledgeable folks still call them "radio delete".

Yeah, but "radio delete" has a much better ring to it :)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
Well back in the day would a customer have had to purposely not checked the box for radio, for it not to come with one? I assume dealers and the factory always put one in?
Seems like 99% of all makes and models had them

Answer to first question - On that, I am not sure.  I think they would have had to check an option box for which radio they wanted.  If not checked, they did not get it.

Answer to second question - Not completely sure on this one either, but there was no factory requirement for a radio.  It probably made sense for dealers to install one but it was not a requirement.  I suppose if the customer knew they wanted a specific radio, and it was not available from the factory, the dealer could install what they wanted.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 01:09:51 AM »
I've heard antidotal stories about dealers ordering cars "without radio"  and then installing less expensive ones from their parts dept.  The rear antenna always bugged me until I was reading in a post here somewhere about block out plugs in the door jambs of without radio cars, and when I checked, there was the block out plug which is really just the rubber grommet with a solid center.  Thanks for the replies, I guess without docs it would be ok to keep the radio and put in a front antenna, I'd rather have it, but I'm sort of a purist.
Bill Garrett

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
In the late sixties and early seventies our big dealership here in Hartford - Grody Chevrolet - partnered with a couple local shops to custom install higher end radios and tape systems then were not available from the factory including the first generation of expensive cassette players in 1970. The base radios that were removed from a host of Impalas, Caprice, Estate wagons, Chevelle, Camaro & some vettes then were repackaged and sold over counter,  used by sales to spruce up and sweeten baseline rides, or used as parts. I'm sure this practice was not unique to Grody.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator