Author Topic: Power Window Motor Rebuild  (Read 382 times)

cwyllie

• View Profile
Power Window Motor Rebuild
« on: March 25, 2024, 11:36:40 PM »
In search of a vendor that can rebuild original power window motors. D&M Resto is the only place I have found and looking for another option.
If anyone has gone aftermarket, is their a consensus on best option?

Thanks in advance.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Power Window Motor Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 12:42:07 AM »
The guy that did my Firebird put repops in it without asking me. They are slow and seem weak. He threw my originals away. I am not happy about. If you go that route be sure take recommendations from others on this site about which ones to buy.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

schlepcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 04:57:41 AM »
  I had rebuilt  some years ago. My general opinion is that there are no aftermarket set-ups that are made as well as oem. It is also my opinion that factory power windows are a rare enough option that it should be repaired rather than replaced. Most of the time that I ever tore a motor apart I found it was either junk or not needing a tear down. They were either corroded so bad that they were not usable or just plain worked. I think if I were to do another car I would likely test them before doing anything. Each motor has to be independently tested and every switch. The master switch and harness is where a lot of issues begin. There is not much in tearing apart a motor just for inspection purposes. A simple clean up and lube will generally give peace of mind to a functioning motor and junk ones can be rebuilt with parts of other  makes and models. The difficult part is already handled if you have all the right harness and regulators. When testing the motors just remember there is no positive/negative….you have to reverse the terminals for each direction. A good jump pack is handy for testing.

cwyllie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 01:04:14 PM »
Schlepcar.
I have both door motors out and tested. Both motors go up without issue, both very slow and weak coming to the down position. I have not removed the quarter window motors yet but they move very slow both directions in the car. I do not want to go the repop route, but the one vendor that I have contacted wants $225 per motor to go through them.
Any other vendor or advise is helpful.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 01:53:04 PM »
If you have any electro-mechanical skills - you can do it yourself.  Just have to be logical about how it came apart and how it goes back together. 

schlepcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 04:17:23 PM »
 I would  agree with doing it yourself or finding a local alternator rebuild shop to do the motors for you. You probably will be better off taking them the weakest one and get a quote if you don’t want to attempt it yourself. Somebody in your area knows the GUY that does starters and alternators. You may have fewer issues than you think. If you have a 67-9 Camaro that has smooth functioning rear windows,power or manual,it is because  someone totally dissembled them,lubed the tracks,replaced any broken pieces and adjusted. Only a low mileage original car would possibly escape this procedure. You will definitely be removing the rear seat and panels if they are assembled currently. Good luck….more time than dollars on that project.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 06:36:29 PM »

cwyllie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 12:39:05 AM »
The doors have never been into. Still has the original paper barrier (black one side and cardboard color on the other) and 3” black tape attached to the inside of door. Rollers definitely need to be replaced and everything cleaned and lubed properly, but the motors and possibly the switches need help.
I’ve called all local shops including generator exchange but no luck here in Utah. Guess I’ll tear into the motors and see what I find.  8)

anything