Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2318 times)

tribri1

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »
I wanted to introduce myself as I see spending a lot of time looking through old posts. In December I am planning a covert mission when my parents are out of town to get my father's stock '69 RS convertible up and running after over a decade sitting in the garage. He has owned it for almost 40 years, I'm fairly confidant he bought it right after I was born as a last grasp of holding onto his youth. At this point my mom wants it shipped to my house, but I thought it would be more fun if he could drive it again. Anyway, that's me. If you have any wisdom to share to get it back on the road I am all ears.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »
First of all, congratulations on your first post.

Number one thing for me would be to make sure everything is safe before you take it out on the road. 

Drain out the old fuel and replace that.

Take a look at the engine oil on the dipstick and see how it looks.  Change if needed.

Carb may leak fuel when you try to start it, but might be OK too.  Just check and be ready with a fire extinguisher close by. Having someone else there too would be a good idea.

Once you get it running, make sure the brakes work.  Check the lines to make sure there are no visible leaks.

Just a few ideas to get you started.  I am sure others will post some helpful information. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:50:37 AM »
Definitely put some new oil in it, I would go so far as to turn it over  a bit and get some oil circulated in there a bit. yes check your brake fluid and make sure pedal isn't spongy. Pour a little gas into the carb, and fire.  Once running Check your trans fluid, add if necessary. Some small leaks are to be expected, they may seal themselves once some fluids start moving around, or they could leak more? Keep an eye/ear out.

Oh one more thing, very important.........Post some pics of that beauty! ;)

(welcome to the CRG)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

tribri1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have a laundry list of work to do to get it running and safe.

I was going to start will replacing all the fluids. Thought I might drop the oil pan too just to wipe out the sludge. Next up was to flush then replace the cooling system rubber and belts. Replace the wheel cylinders, brake shoes and brake springs. New battery, plugs, points, cap, rotor and wires. Pull the distributor and spin the oil pump. Then hopefully fire it up. He said he stopped driving it because the carb was acting up, but I don't know what was going on, so I may be rebuilding the carb as well.

If I can get it running I'll take it to a mechanic for a look over, if not I'll tow it over. Once it is running and safe I am hoping dad will get motivated to get the body work and paint done. If anyone has some advice on a mechanic in South Orange County, CA let me know.

I'll snap some photos and post them up for sure.

anything