Author Topic: Stolen Z Found  (Read 13377 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Stolen Z Found
« on: August 17, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
Papa John's got their Z back:

From USA Today
Papa John's missing Camaro found in Detroit driveway
http://usat.ly/1TOEL2F

Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: Stolen Z Found
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
That's one! Two more cars stolen at the same event. Nothing worse than a thief!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »
to bad it had to happen, it will probably deter some guys from bringing their cars out there next year.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
They are never safe, even in an enclosed trailer.  I've seen this happen several times at the Pigeon Forge rod run as well.  They just steal the whole damn trailer, sometimes even the truck it's attached to, it's crazy.

That's why after I get the family tucked in at the motel, I go out and sleep in the car, with my side arm at the ready.
  Too bad you go out to have a good time at these things and you simply just can't let your guard down.
   He's lucky he got the car back unscathed, some of my friends weren't so lucky.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm working on a national event for 2016 (not Autofair) and we're hiring two security crews, one for the cars and one for trucks/trailers.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
BTW, looks like someone took that Z for a joy ride.  He is lucky they didn't wrap it around a bridge support....

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »
I'm working on a national event for 2016 (not Autofair) and we're hiring two security crews, one for the cars and one for trucks/trailers.

Now that's the way to do it.  I attended Norwalk for several years for the Tri-Power Nats or now called Pontiac Nationals.  It was safer to leave truck trailer and car inside on the grounds over night as they had security everywhere.  May not be a "cure all" but it sure did give me some piece of mind.

Many other weekend events I did, if it was within a couple hours drive from home, I would just drive back and forth all weekend.  Otherwise I spent the weekend sleeping in the car.  Which as uncomfortable as that may sound, it's really not all that bad.  I never get much sleep in motels anyway, lol

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
Had that happen here locally. They used their cell phone to gain entry to the keyless locks. Took the whole truck and trailer with race car in it. Drove it to another location and pulled the drivetrain out of the race car. Then set it on fire. Truck didn't get a scratch. Another that made the news was a local fire chief had the same issue. Only they had the balls to drive it back and park it in his yard. When he went out several days later, the trailer was empty. Danny

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »
Several years ago I knew someone that had their MC trailer stolen at Bike Week. It was chained to a telephone pole and locked while they went to dinner in the tow vehicle. It was not covered by insurance because it was not attached to the tow vehicle. READ your insurance policy.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
I would hard disable the tow vehicle some way before going to bed and have a alarm pager to tell you if the dome light comes on from the door opening or if the hitch was separated.  There needs to be ways of at least slowing them down.  News of a few of those guys being "stopped" would also help. :)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Friend of mine had his car hauler with a pickup on it for sale at the Charlotte Auto Fair this spring in the outfield. It was all stolen in the broad daylight. Still not found.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
thats crazy. Sounds like anycar show is a main target of the thieves now. I didn't realize it was so prevalent these days. I guess I don't attend enough shows now a days to see this trend.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
to bad it had to happen, it will probably deter some guys from bringing their cars out there next year.

The area it was stolen from is nowhere near the Woodward Cruise - it was at least 12 miles away, on the east side of Detroit in a hotel parking lot on E. Jefferson avenue, just a few blocks from a really run-down area known for drugs and chop-shops. If you were in that area on Saturday, you wouldn't even know there was a Woodward Cruise that day.

They punched the ignition, took it out of the trailer, then apparently decided the car was too well-known to drive around and ditched it in the weeds between two abandoned houses. He got the trailer back too.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Friend of mine had his car hauler with a pickup on it for sale at the Charlotte Auto Fair this spring in the outfield. It was all stolen in the broad daylight. Still not found.
What "outfield"?

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »
I would hard disable the tow vehicle some way before going to bed and have a alarm pager to tell you if the dome light comes on from the door opening or if the hitch was separated.  There needs to be ways of at least slowing them down.  News of a few of those guys being "stopped" would also help. :)

I take a lot of those steps.  Used to go through the trouble to pull the battery out, coil wire, a couple of hidden kill switches for good measure, then chain the hood shut, take everything in the motel with me.   They literally would have to hook it and tow it away, which also isn't out of the question nowadays.   
 Then realized it was easier and less stressful to just sleep in the car. lol.