Author Topic: '68 Z28 Need pic - prop valve/splitter mounting and line layout  (Read 2662 times)

barsteel

• View Profile
Hello -

When Jerry looked at my '68 Z28, he remarked that I was missing the brackets that mounted the proportioning valve and line splitter block to the power brake booster.  Right now, they're just hanging in place by the brake lines.  I've since ordered the correct brackets from Rick's Camaros, but I'd like to see a pic of how they're supposed to be set up.

Also, I'd like to make sure that my lines are run correctly.  I've attached a pic of the setup I have now, although I already have the correct MC on order.

Forgive my ignorance, but on every brake system I've ever set up, I had the line for the rear brakes (the smaller, rear reservoir) feeding into the proportioning valve;  As I understand the valve's purpose, it is to restrict brake fluid flow the to rear brakes so as to prevent them from locking up before the front brakes.  Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong.

As the system is set up now, the front brake lines (large front reservoir) feed into the proportioning valve.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: '68 Z28 Need pic - prop valve/splitter mounting and line layout
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »
Here is a picture of our system on our 68Z. Might want to consider re-doing a few things (master cylinder) since your making some corrections. When was your 68Z built?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: '68 Z28 Need pic - prop valve/splitter mounting and line layout
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but on every brake system I've ever set up, I had the line for the rear brakes (the smaller, rear reservoir) feeding into the proportioning valve;  As I understand the valve's purpose, it is to restrict brake fluid flow the to rear brakes so as to prevent them from locking up before the front brakes.  Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong.

As the system is set up now, the front brake lines (large front reservoir) feed into the proportioning valve.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Here's a CRG site article that explains the correct description and function of the various brake system valves:

http://www.camaros.org/brakevalve.shtml
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything