Author Topic: Goodyear WT correct alignment on YH / DF rally's, please help  (Read 6233 times)

Bryan302

• View Profile
Goodyear WT correct alignment on YH / DF rally's, please help
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
Last year, during and after the Nationals, I noticed several people were talking about the correct alignment of the valve stem hole of the wheel with the tire itself.  This particular topic was about a 68 Z.

Did the factory actually line up the tire and wheel?

Is this for both 68 DF and 69 YH tires and wheels?

If this actually happened, What is the correct alignment for a YH wheel and a Goodyear Wide Tread?  Was the writing on the tire at 12 o' clock and the valve stem of the wheel at 6 o'clock?  Please explain.

Thanks,
Bryan 
Bryan S.
1968 RS Z/28, 12E, PNT R2, TR 749
1969 Z/28 X33, 05A, PNT 52 52, TR 719, endura bumper

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goodyear WT correct alignment on YH / DF rally's, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:40 PM »
Something of that nature did occur but the version you heard is way off base.

Chevrolet Dealer Service Information Bulletin 68-I-5 dated December 5, 1967 explained a new process for mounting tires in production. Tire suppliers had begun marking the high run-out point with a red paint dot near the bead. Wheel suppliers noted the low run out point by welding BB shot on the wheel outer flange. In production these markings were aligned. Dealers were notified to maintain the alignment if it became necessary to dismount a tire.

Only three plants were involved at the time of the notification: Flint, Norwood and Willow Run.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Bryan302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:15:12 AM »
Ah so, I've noticed the bead you speak of, on the outer flange of my YH wheels, or most YH wheels.  So would this bead on the wheel align dot to dot to the red dot at the high RO point of the tire?  How would you establish the high RO point of the tire?  Is this something the tire store could do on their balance machines?  Does this service bulletin go into any detail to explain how this process is completed?

And you were right, I think the other camaro owners were just mounting each tire on each wheel at the same spot on each one.

As always, thanks William!

Bryan
Bryan S.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
How would you establish the high RO point of the tire?  Is this something the tire store could do on their balance machines?  Does this service bulletin go into any detail to explain how this process is completed?

This was Chevrolet's solution to what they called "smooth-road shake" in 1969, to minimize the vibratory effect of tire and wheel runout. It continues today - if you look at the tires on a new car fresh off the haulaway truck before dealer prep, you'll see the various markings (paint, wax, sticker) aligned on the wheel and tire.

You can duplicate the results by having your wheels balanced at a shop that has a Hunter GSP-9700 Road-Force Balancer; go to www.gsp9700.com and use the locator feature there to find the shop/dealership nearest you that has one.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
The CDSIB does not describe how the manufacturers accomplished it.

Now all you guys with judged cars will have to add red dots on the tires and align the marks.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
Something of that nature did occur but the version you heard is way off base.

Chevrolet Dealer Service Information Bulletin 68-I-5 dated December 5, 1967 explained a new process for mounting tires in production. Tire suppliers had begun marking the high run-out point with a red paint dot near the bead. Wheel suppliers noted the low run out point by welding BB shot on the wheel outer flange. In production these markings were aligned. Dealers were notified to maintain the alignment if it became necessary to dismount a tire.

Only three plants were involved at the time of the notification: Flint, Norwood and Willow Run.

Great information William. I was aware of the reasoning behind the BB shot on the outer flange, but never knew the tire had a red dot applied identifying the high point runout. You learn something everyday...

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:14 PM »
As I like to say we are learning more and more about less and less! But I enjoy the chase. Yup, lots more to learn.

Bryan302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
Thanks William and John Z, that's outstanding information!  I imagine red paint will pick up in sales, and the judges will have to make an amendment to the book that they have not made yet!  This can go along side the trim rings section.

Bryan
Bryan S.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »
How would you establish the high RO point of the tire?  Is this something the tire store could do on their balance machines?  Does this service bulletin go into any detail to explain how this process is completed?

This was Chevrolet's solution to what they called "smooth-road shake" in 1969, to minimize the vibratory effect of tire and wheel runout. It continues today - if you look at the tires on a new car fresh off the haulaway truck before dealer prep, you'll see the various markings (paint, wax, sticker) aligned on the wheel and tire.

You can duplicate the results by having your wheels balanced at a shop that has a Hunter GSP-9700 Road-Force Balancer; go to www.gsp9700.com and use the locator feature there to find the shop/dealership nearest you that has one.
John, your statement would indicate the process started in 1969, is that correct?
Great info William and John! Thank You!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68L30

• View Profile