Author Topic: "This is a rare, #'s matching, authenticated Yenko Z/28"  (Read 8994 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: "This is a rare, #'s matching, authenticated Yenko Z/28"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:25:55 AM »
Very interesting info on the protecto plate. Shows the original motor to have been a V0526DZ (late May)trans P9A30 (Late January)rear end to be BU 0515.(mid May) So a early August car (08A) with May dated Motor and rear end housing, and then a January dated Transmission????

Makes you wonder how many other cars have (had) original components dated more than a month or 2 away from there firewall date, and have been deemed not original to the car, and even owners who have opted for parts dated closer to there car, and may have taken off original parts because of the so called regular window of time for parts to be considered dated correct.

I can't remember seeing a Yenko badged this enthusiastically, I wonder if any of those emblems were added by the owner, or if this a dealer sponsored car?

Those look to be dates way outside the norm..... Right?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
I noticed the same thing on the very early dates. This car was built about 900 hundred cars after my July 10th car and all the drivetrain parts are dated before mine. I always assumed that they were using up all inventory right before and after the one month shutdown. According to William the shutdown was from July 12th through August 10th.

And yes you make a good point because my 772 fan is dated B69. I have asked myself several times should I find one dated May or June.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12251.0

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
Was not a dealer sponsored car.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
I agree some of the dates are way off. One theory for the trans, may have been transferred from another Chevy plant that had shut down for the model year changeover. Regular practice for the plants to shift parts around.

A great book for history buffs is "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors." It was written by John De Lorean and much of it is devoted to his appointment as Chevrolet's General Manager in 1969. Chevy was an operations train wreck in those days.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:26:14 AM by william »
Learning more and more about less and less...

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Well they must have ramped up production awfully quick. My 08C has a mid August rear end stamp, early August motor stamp, and then a late June trans stamp. It is more and more interesting to me when cars from this time of the year appear, and have some docs to show the drive train and dates .

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
That why judging is a pertinent part of the hobby but is only a go between in what some people research and what actually happened during assembly.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
The Flint engine plant is 300 miles from Norwood; a Flint engine could easily be on the line at Norwood a few days after it was built. Same with the gear and axle plant in Detroit. The Muncie plant was 123 miles from Norwood so they were quickly available.

In my small db I have no Camaro Muncie dates between July 15-July 30; none between July 30-August 19. Probably any leftover Muncie 4-speed was sent to Norwood. Van Nuys was still using January Muncies as late as April. They appear to have carried much more finished goods inventory than Norwood due to the distance involved.

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
I agree some of the dates are way off. One theory for the trans, may have been transferred from another Chevy plant that had shut down for the model year changeover. Regular practice for the plants to shift parts around.

A great book for history buffs is "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors." It was written by John De Lorean and much of it is devoted to his appointment a Chevrolet's General Manager in 1969. Chevy was an operations train wreck in those days.

Not exactly the subject of this thread, but the operations "train wreck" varied from plant to plant.  IMO - some of the plants were pretty good (especially foundries :-)).  As an aside, I was fortunate enough to meet John Z when he visited the St. Louis assembly plant as Chev. GM.  I got picked to be the driver of one of the airport pick up cars.  He came in on a brand new company GS (I think Gulf Stream II).  Dressed like the man from Glad (all white).  When we took him back to the airport, he must have felt sorry for us lowly drivers - so he gave us a tour of the new plane.  Very personable guy!

RUNUTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
JFYI Yenko did not put the 427 in this Z.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
By any measure John De Lorean was an excellent auto exec in his prime. Lee Iacocca, Mark McCormack, and Smokey Yunick had praise for him in their books. He revived Pontiac and has never really gotten the credit he deserved for his role in the GTO. He really turned Chevy around.

Too often remembered for what happened later in his career. He was better than that.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
Van Nuys was still using January Muncies as late as April.
Interesting observation; do you have enough data points to know if that use of January Muncies was widespread, or just here and there? I have an M21 assembled on January 6th that has a mid-late March LOS partial VIN. Both partial and assembly stamps are good, and I just thought that particular transmission must've been held back in inventory for some reason.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
I have 6 April VN cars with January Muncies, all in the L528xxx range. Also 4 in March. This could be limited to M21s as I expect M20s were consumed more quickly. The dates vary so I guess it was just poor inventory control. Van Nuys built several different models and transmissions may have been stored in different areas. Camaro engine and rear axle dates do not show the same pattern.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »
Thanks William, great info as ever.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
Well its up to 56k with 3 days to go, lets see how high it goes, and hopefully for the Bidders there isn't any shill bidding on this one to artificially up the price.