Author Topic: Bench Testing Ignition Switch '67  (Read 5524 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Bench Testing Ignition Switch '67
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm helping my father with a problem with his Camaro.  I've searched online but can't seem to find a description for how to bench test an ignition switch for a '67 Camaro.

The car will start but when the key is released it dies.  After some searching we believe it's probably the ignition switch, but I would first like to bench test it before moving on to the resistor wire or tachometer.  In case it makes a difference it's a '67 Camaro RS 327 with p/s, p/b, windows, tilt wheel and a/c.  I have the switch removed.  One of the prongs does have a small amount of plastic as though it may have perhaps gotten hot at one point.

Thanks,

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Bench Testing Ignition Switch '67
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
It should be marked B for battery S for start acc for acc and R for run or on for run. Use an ohm meter and check for continuity between the batt terminal and all the others when the switch is in the proper position. If you nothing when in the run position the switch is bad.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:01:32 PM »
 I suspect the resistor wire is bad or has a bad connection. I believe there are two wires in parallel that go to the positive side of the coil with one wire used to bypass the resistor wire during cranking and when the ignition is release then the resistor wire comes into play.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
I tested the ignition switch with an ohm meter tonight.  First, the Batt terminal is loose, so that itself can't be good.  Every position seems to work except for the IGN.  This only works when the key is held in the "start" position, and I assume it should work in both the start and the run key positions.

Has anyone ever taken one of these ignition switches apart?

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
A new one east to find.They were pretty generic to GM models.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:48:05 PM »
We have already ordered a new one from the local parts house, but I'm sure it will be cheaper quality than the original, plus I like to be able to repair originals whenever possible.  Surely someone has taken one of these apart.

anything