Author Topic: Correct Seat Foam for 69 Camaro Deluxe Houndstooth  (Read 6874 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Correct Seat Foam for 69 Camaro Deluxe Houndstooth
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
Hey guys,

I have an issue with Classic Industries where they sent me seat foams for my Camaro with deluxe interior.  They sent me SF105

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/camaro/parts/sf105.html

...which is the seat foam that has no wire frame and relies on a wireframe that is on the metal backrest.  However, my seat frames have no wiring on the seat frame, and I need part number SF116

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/camaro/parts/sf116.html

...however, Classic Industries tells me that the SF105 is for houndstooth, and nothing else.  When I asked what SF116 was for they state that the SF105 is for deluxe houndstooth or comfortweave interiors, and SF116 is for all non-houndstooth and non comfortweave deluxe interior.  I tried desperately to to explain to them that there are only two seats offered by GM in 69 Camaro and it is standard or deluxe.  And that deluxe could be either comfortweave or houndstooth, and that there is no other deluxe seats.  But they only refer to their notes in their paperwork, with from what I gather, says houndstooth/comfortweave under part SF105 and deluxe seats under SF116.  Obviously, the four guys I have discussed with them so far (Darryl, Dennis, Dave, and Tony) do not know 69 Camaros and seat options, and instead, rely on what they read in their paperwork. 

I have a set of seat foams that I cannot use.  Or...am I wrong?  I have a set of seat frames for a deluxe interior that do not have a wire frame on the back rest.  I believe I need SF116.  Anyone have any opinions on this.  Classic does not want to listen and despite my trying to tell them, say they delivered the correct parts to me and it is my fault so to speak. 

And for the record, when I ordered the seat foams...I did not give them a part number, and simply told the guy I placed my order with that I wanted seat foam kit for 69 Camaro with deluxe houndstooth, and that my seat frame did not have the wire frame and that I needed the foam with the wire embedded in it.   he stated he knew exactly what I needed, and then sent me SF105.  Now, they say they did nothing wrong. 

What do you think?

crobjones2

• View Profile
Re: Correct Seat Foam for 69 Camaro Deluxe Houndstooth
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
which wire are you talking about? the piece that hog-rings through the foam or the springs?
Chris
69 SS 350

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »
If you see the attached video and go to the 8:17 mark, you will see that there is a wire setup attached to the back frame.  This is what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8HFyPjunE

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:11 AM »
I believe the wire you refer to are the springs. My seats had the springs attached to the back frame thus the SF105 is correct for my seats. I still have my original foam if you need pictures.
Chris
69 SS 350

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
You're gonna need the ones with the imbedded wire.  That.s what the deluxe houndstooth seat foams came with.  I need a set as well, but I keep putting it off.
Bill Garrett

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
Obviously the classic industries fellas are wrong...  the deluxe seat foams (for use with all comfortweave and houndstooth seats in 1969) used the embedded wires in the foam...  the 'shape/size' of the forming of the foam is also different between the deluxe and standard seat foams...  You should be able to confirm this by photographing your removed foams and sending the photo(s) to Classic Industries...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
You're gonna need the ones with the imbedded wire.  That.s what the deluxe houndstooth seat foams came with.  I need a set as well, but I keep putting it off.
Obviously the classic industries fellas are wrong...  the deluxe seat foams (for use with all comfortweave and houndstooth seats in 1969) used the embedded wires in the foam...  the 'shape/size' of the forming of the foam is also different between the deluxe and standard seat foams...  You should be able to confirm this by photographing your removed foams and sending the photo(s) to Classic Industries...

I have to disagree - and here is why:
Chris
69 SS 350

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
The fact is there are two seats types.  One with the springs built into the metal frame backrest and ther other where the metal frame backrest does not have the spring setup, and instead, the wires are embedded into the foam.  Not sure why GM did this, but womewhere along the way, they felt a change was needed.  maybe to accomdate the later headrests that angled and had a bent slider bar, and they needed the room in the backrest.

Here is an email to OER and a response on this matter. 

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:26 PM
To: info@oerparts.com
Subject: 69 deluxe interior seat foam

Name: Steve

Description: I have a 69 Camaro with deluxe houndstooth interior. I ordered the seat foam for my car from Classic Ind, and they sent me seat foam without the metal wires in it. They state that this is the only foam for houndstooth deluxe interiors. However, there are two types of seat foams for deluxe houndstooth interiors. One with the wire frame embedded in the foam and one without, (depending on which seat frame you have). Checkout Classic Industries webpage under part numbers SF105 and SF116. They refuse to believe that the SF116 is right (for deluxe houndstooth or comfortweave)

Lex Stones (of OER)
Jul 23 at 12:04 PM

To
dekar@bellsouth.net

Hi Steve

My information shows the following:

SF105:  1969 CAMARO DELUXE BUCKET SEAT FOAM - WITHOUT WIRE
SF116:  1969 CAMARO DELUXE BUCKET SEAT FOAM - WITH WIRE

According to my information you are correct.  I have contacted Classic Industries to have them correct the problem.

Thank You
Lex Stones
Accounts Representative
lstones@oerparts.com
800.955.1511 ext 5-371
714.375.0254 ext 5-371
P.O. Box 12049
Westminster, CA 92683
www.oerparts.com

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
Steve
when was your car assembled?
maybe this is a future research topic. I believe you are right with the change possibly being from the headrest addition, or maybe it could have also been a change in preparation for the newer cars?
Chris
69 SS 350

JESSE TACKETT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 04:01:59 PM »
Did this ever get resolved? I am exactly at this point but the seat foam WITH the springs doesn't seem to be available. Any help here?   jess in ky

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »
The OP hasn't been here for over 1 year.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 04:33:43 PM »
Did this ever get resolved? I am exactly at this point but the seat foam WITH the springs doesn't seem to be available. Any help here?   jess in ky

Wait for it? Have you checked when its expected to arrive?

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/chevrolet/camaro/parts/*sf116pr.html