Author Topic: Paint Rejuvenation  (Read 8176 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Paint Rejuvenation
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
Its been a while since I have posted anything due to building engines for a few customers along with a few other odds and ends..  I am going to consider this "maintenance" due to a cars paint as well as everything else needs attention from time to time.  So yesterday I bought a new tool/toy and gave it a try last night to see how well it would do.. The before pic you can see some fine scratches on the deck lid. So I picked up a DA polisher from Harbor Freight and all 3 pads. After cleaning the surface; I used Meguiar's Scratch 2.0 then back over it with #7. I can say I am very pleased with the polisher and cant wait to finish the entire car..  If any of you have been like me and always hand polished or waxed your car then go out and get this polisher and you will not be sorry..  I also plan to use this on the original paint 68 within the next few months so I will add that to this thread at that time.

Harbor Freight Part # 69924  - Link to Polisher

This is the Scratches before:

After:

69z28302

• View Profile
Re: Paint Rejuvenation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:34:01 AM »
I tried some of the meguiars Ultimate Polish on my new project. I was amazed at the results by hand. I was look at the same buffer you bought to further enhance the paint.

What pads did you use ?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:35:56 PM »
I have been using Griots on my vehicles with a d.a. very mild products and I dont think you could mess up if you tried. Really leaves a nice finish.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
I have been using Griots on my vehicles with a d.a. very mild products and I dont think you could mess up if you tried. Really leaves a nice finish.

Ditto I only use Griots on my original paint cars.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
Just to educate me; what makes Griots better than others out there?  Personal preference or is there chemistry involved?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 01:08:18 AM »
Little update:
So far I am happy with the da polisher but the compound pad I am less than satisfied..  After already going through 2 (first one a big chunk flew off and the second has started to tear & separate from the mounting strip.  But the polishing pad is holding strong.  Have yet to work the finishing pad.

Results:

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
I have the same polisher, and have had a lot of fun with it. I also used #2 and then #7. I have also used #83 then #7. They are about the same but I do think that #2 comes off easier than #83. Regardless I have had great results. I agree don't think you can screw anything up with the foam pads. I too had the same results with the orange cut pad falling apart after one use. The blue polishing pad, and black finish pad seem to hold up longer. However, the orange pad does a good job on tougher jobs.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 03:16:51 AM »
If you look at backing plate velcro vs the pad velcro they are different sizes.  I used a razorblade and trimed the backing plate velcro down to the same size as the pads velcro and the orange lasted much longer than the first.

Here's some quick befores and afters of the fiances Altima I did a few weekends ago..:

Now heres a few after using Ultimate Compound:

After M205, #7 & #26..

And a reflection pic once all was done.  :laughing:

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
I had a friend tell me about Griots I guess is how I found it. They have 3 grades of polish and with the da you can't burn thru paint. At least it seems impossible lol. I have used the show car wax and now they have a sealant if you don't want to wax so often. I have used it maybe 5 years. I have even shined up a tractor with it. Makes them looked like they were just painted
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

JD-Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:44:13 AM »
what's better to use? the ultimate wax or gold class wax by Meguiars?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
Both are great but have a little different purpose.  Ultimate is more of a sealant type of wax where Gold gives a deeper look to the paint and doesn't last quite as long.  Just my $0.02..

anything