Author Topic: EO Z/28 is back  (Read 26565 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: EO Z/28 is back
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
They always do better at the auctions as long as you get more than 1 person interested in it.  BJ is a perfect example of bidding frenzy but doesn't always reflect private sales.  Frankly I feel the car brought all it would bring at $59k and could have had alot to do with advertising, location etc..(just speculating).  It may be 1 of 1 but that doesn't make it desirable to everyone in that color (even though I don't mind it since I'm sick of seeing blacks and reds)   At BJ it would get more exposure, plus I'd like the idea of Jerry possibly being at BJ that may bring to light some of the controversy before bidding that may or may not reflect price.   

However on the other hand that didn't seem to affect the sale price of Ron Pratt's RS Z this past January with controversy surrounding that one.

You just never know how the public is going to react on that givin day.  It might do fantastic at Mecum even though they don't tend to bring as much money as BJ does.  Without a reputable person there to dispute the original owners claims, no controversy, and a good crowd, it could bring silly money.  Or you could have a bunch of people there that absolutely hate purple, lol.    I've seen color affect prices good and bad more times than I can count, whether original or not.  Wait and see.

Not everyone reads these forums, including myself until just recently and I've been around this stuff for 40+ years, didn't even hear of Jerry McNeish until last year and I've had the Z for 30+.  (Not really a fan of computers) So I  don't think what is said here is always going to have an influence on sales depending on who lives and breaths the internet world.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
Ok, how about this: Wouldn't it fetch more if it was just painted silver stripe delete with a black vinyl top?  Maybe the EO (pinkish hue) is just a turn off?

( I assume it is numbers matching drivetrain, I couldn't remember)

Since I paint these things for a living, and from what I've seen on the market over the years,,,,,YES I believe there is a good chance the car would sell for more if painted silver with stripe delete as that would appeal to a larger market and likely drive up the bidding.
   I like the current color as it's different, and I like different, but it's a turn off for most people.  There's a reason why it was a rare color back then, lol.   Things haven't changed all that much today either.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
Well Jerry being there isn't going to bring up the price IMO. He is just going to say something to effect of when he inspected the car back then, they peeled back different parts, and it just showed silver. So this may break down to people thinking it has the wrong color on it now, and hence $59k
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 05:08:36 PM »
Another example that is kind of the flip side of this, look at how popular the greens and golds were in the late 60's and early 70's.  They fell out of favor soon after.  I can't tell you how many 100's of classic cars I've seen throughout the 80's and beyond that had repaints a different color, usually black or red or blue, while the data tag showed green as the original color. 
   In alot of cases it's actually increased the sale prices, even though it's not the original color. 

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
Well Jerry being there isn't going to bring up the price IMO. He is just going to say something to effect of when he inspected the car back then, they peeled back different parts, and it just showed silver. So this may break down to people thinking it has the wrong color on it now, and hence $59k

Correct, I don't feel Jerry being there would increase the price, in my comment I meant to get across that it would actually have a negative affect on the price as he would likely state what he saw during inspection.
  Since he won't likely be at Mecum, we might see the price of this car go high because the controversy won't be there without someone reputable (like Jerry) to dispute the color, and not everyone reads the internet.  That's what I was trying to say.  Sorry if I didn't come across right.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
VIN: 124379N546311

Paul

FortLangleyBC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
In the Camaro forum thread Jerry & William stated the car was Cortez silver when they inspected it - given JM is at every BJ auction now to confirm camaros before they cross the block, I wonder what the listing would have said about the EO color?

I was thinking the car would do worse at BJ than Mecum or EBay because of this...
1969 Trans Am 400 335 WQ Cameo White

FortLangleyBC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
PS - I think silver with stripe delete would be nicer as well!
1969 Trans Am 400 335 WQ Cameo White

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 10:40:57 PM »
Hey Clem you seem to follow this car closely, any interest in owning it again?

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
Original owner should buy it back.

X2

Seems like there is so much interest in it, why not just buy it back?
unlike most people here on the board I owned 68 and 69 Z/28 when they were new so I have moved on to new corvettes. I can see no fun in owning a used car.  :D
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »
Hey Clem you seem to follow this car closely, any interest in owning it again?

not really as I explained above. the owner called me up and offered for me to come to the auction so I will go.
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 01:34:09 AM »
unlike most people here on the board I owned 68 and 69 Z/28 when they were new so I have moved on to new corvettes. I can see no fun in owning a used car.  :D
They were all new at one time.  Even your Corvette is NOW USED !  ;D
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 02:14:36 AM »
Ha, funny you should bring the "new" thing up. My son had do to a problem in college figuring the life expectancy of the new Vette structural frame work. ( aluminum vs. steel) You engineers on the site, steel is almost a factor of infinity at this  vs. aluminum (hint) Take into consideration the average mileage put on a car per year plus oxidation, etc..

His professor is out of Detroit auto industry, kid got the answer right, but I'm not saying the answer. Think my old used Z might be around just a few more years, and still pounding the ground. :) (of course  gotta factor in most likely it will continue to remain suspended on the lift)

Just having some fun, Orchid 69 is bottom line a beautiful car, and if I was not paying for my son to be able to calculate these equations, I'd consider a bid! For what it went for last round anyway.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 03:42:32 AM »
Slightly off topic but interesting chat,
    We've done the new thing, 3 vettes, 2 new camaros and a truck to name a few over the years.   Funny as we all get older my wife and I would rather drive classics now.  Pretty much the opposite of most old folks out there.  I don't care for the creature comforts and electronics anymore.  I much rather prefer the simplicity and ease of maintanance.  The fact that they keep appreciating while the new stuff plummets is a nice bonus  ;)

Even my wife has become a diehard.   She has a new camaro she can drive yet she has preferred to drive my 36 year old 1-ton truck daily while I work towards getting the RS Z ready for her.  Yep, she wants to drive it daily.  So the new car is getting shipped down the road.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
Slightly off topic but interesting chat,
X2 on the new cars.  Yeah they're nice and all but something still about a classic.  I/wife have an '05 Ram (Daytona), '95 Chevy stepside and a new '15 BMW M4.  Of course the trucks are mine and I just love driving my '95 stepside more than the Dodge Ram which currently has 58K miles behind it.
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code