Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Valve cover and air cleaner assy

(1/6) > >>

lemarin:
I'm trying to bring back to original my 69 LM-1 engine compartment. The previous owner like very much chrome....(yark!!!). Anyway I go part by part, slowly but surely !

From what I've found here and there, the original valve cover for an LM1 should be the orange ones, same color as the engine ? And the air filter assy should be black, with the chrome top ? Right ? Anyone can confirm me this information, also is it the same parts as the SS 350 ?

Finally where can I get those same parts, repro or NOS ? I'm lost since there was so many options and different setup.....aluminium cover, chrome, etc etc...

Thanks again guys, it's so nice to see all your knowledge !

here's a picture of my engine bay, like it is now:

ko-lek-tor:
Lemarin, please,where do you live? So,if a memeber wants you to have something we know how far for shipping.

Consider these: Are you prepared to move the A/C compressor back to the driver's side?
I may be corrected, but I believe LM1 air cleaner lid is painted (black) and only the SS (L48) had the chrome lid, you speak of. Going by memory, but you know how that goes.

If you could clarify your desire about originality a little better?  meaning, there is "original appearing" and then there is "correct original" or date matched and details corrected that only a small percentage of car guys could ever discern. In the same order mentioned: First: Is expensive enough and time consuming and, fortunately, you can always go the repro route to save time, not sure about saving money. Second: Will be a much more time consuming and could be very expensive. In your favor though, most of the engine parts are somewhat reasonable (excepting smog related)( man trans.only) and common to many engines/(Chevys) of that era.
Cannot remember, is that an auto or stick?

Gotta say, Many guys would die to have that chromey looking, accessorized engine bay, but are stuck with (in their minds) something that looks stock and, in their eyes, pedestrian and boring, yet others like you have all the 'bling' and don't want it...isn't that how it goes? Maybe you could find someone that wants your stuff in trade for original. A lot of your parts look pricey, so,don't trade straight up,IMO, you should have some change $$ when all is done.

joesauer:
Looks like you have Billet Specialties valve covers & air cleaner....high end stuff & worth a few bucks.  I see an Edelbrock intake (performer?).  Check your carb to hood clearance to be sure the stock air cleaner fits.  Should be ok with a performer intake, but may be trouble if its an air gap.  How far do you plan to go getting back/close to original?  You have headers, serpentine setup, etc.  Expensive to change all that back to original.

lemarin:
Hi guys and thanks for your answer. My mechanic told me the same: "you have an engine built with full chrome at one opposite, and at the other opposite you want it back to original.....it's far and complicated to achieve loll"

I know many people love chrome, but I don't. My car (LM-1), is auto (TH350) full matching numbers, so I think it worth it to put her back to her original specs. And for the look, I hate chrome in engine compartment....I means, too much chrome !

I'd like to bring her back like this one, per example (I know it's not an LM-1 like mine):

From the pictures of survivors I found on the web, the air cleaner cover should be chrome as well, just like an SS350. But I couldn't find any picture of an LM1 restored to factory specs.

For the A/C, it was not there originally from the factory, it works great but I can live without it as I'm taking the car only occasionally, and anyway in Canada it's not as warm as in the US.

What I hate the most I believe, is the fact that with this pulley kit, the original fan has been removed and there's only an electric fan (static) to cool down the engine (radiator), and it works very often and is much more noisier than any other fan I've heard....it's a shame it's even noisier than the V8 engine !

Any comment or help is welcome.

zman1969:
I like stock too, those radiator and heater hoses above are horrible leave that stuff to the tuners  IMO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page