Author Topic: Valve cover and air cleaner assy  (Read 13953 times)

lemarin

• View Profile
Valve cover and air cleaner assy
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:11:44 AM »
I'm trying to bring back to original my 69 LM-1 engine compartment. The previous owner like very much chrome....(yark!!!). Anyway I go part by part, slowly but surely !

From what I've found here and there, the original valve cover for an LM1 should be the orange ones, same color as the engine ? And the air filter assy should be black, with the chrome top ? Right ? Anyone can confirm me this information, also is it the same parts as the SS 350 ?

Finally where can I get those same parts, repro or NOS ? I'm lost since there was so many options and different setup.....aluminium cover, chrome, etc etc...

Thanks again guys, it's so nice to see all your knowledge !

here's a picture of my engine bay, like it is now:

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2017 brillant black
BMW M3 ZCP 2017 Yas Marina Blue
Chevrolet Camaro RS 1969 Daytona yellow
Tesla 3D 2018 AWD (ordered)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Valve cover and air cleaner assy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:32:02 AM »
Lemarin, please,where do you live? So,if a memeber wants you to have something we know how far for shipping.

Consider these: Are you prepared to move the A/C compressor back to the driver's side?
I may be corrected, but I believe LM1 air cleaner lid is painted (black) and only the SS (L48) had the chrome lid, you speak of. Going by memory, but you know how that goes.

If you could clarify your desire about originality a little better?  meaning, there is "original appearing" and then there is "correct original" or date matched and details corrected that only a small percentage of car guys could ever discern. In the same order mentioned: First: Is expensive enough and time consuming and, fortunately, you can always go the repro route to save time, not sure about saving money. Second: Will be a much more time consuming and could be very expensive. In your favor though, most of the engine parts are somewhat reasonable (excepting smog related)( man trans.only) and common to many engines/(Chevys) of that era.
Cannot remember, is that an auto or stick?

Gotta say, Many guys would die to have that chromey looking, accessorized engine bay, but are stuck with (in their minds) something that looks stock and, in their eyes, pedestrian and boring, yet others like you have all the 'bling' and don't want it...isn't that how it goes? Maybe you could find someone that wants your stuff in trade for original. A lot of your parts look pricey, so,don't trade straight up,IMO, you should have some change $$ when all is done.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:57:56 AM by ko-lek-tor »
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:26:22 AM »
Looks like you have Billet Specialties valve covers & air cleaner....high end stuff & worth a few bucks.  I see an Edelbrock intake (performer?).  Check your carb to hood clearance to be sure the stock air cleaner fits.  Should be ok with a performer intake, but may be trouble if its an air gap.  How far do you plan to go getting back/close to original?  You have headers, serpentine setup, etc.  Expensive to change all that back to original.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
Hi guys and thanks for your answer. My mechanic told me the same: "you have an engine built with full chrome at one opposite, and at the other opposite you want it back to original.....it's far and complicated to achieve loll"

I know many people love chrome, but I don't. My car (LM-1), is auto (TH350) full matching numbers, so I think it worth it to put her back to her original specs. And for the look, I hate chrome in engine compartment....I means, too much chrome !

I'd like to bring her back like this one, per example (I know it's not an LM-1 like mine):

From the pictures of survivors I found on the web, the air cleaner cover should be chrome as well, just like an SS350. But I couldn't find any picture of an LM1 restored to factory specs.

For the A/C, it was not there originally from the factory, it works great but I can live without it as I'm taking the car only occasionally, and anyway in Canada it's not as warm as in the US.

What I hate the most I believe, is the fact that with this pulley kit, the original fan has been removed and there's only an electric fan (static) to cool down the engine (radiator), and it works very often and is much more noisier than any other fan I've heard....it's a shame it's even noisier than the V8 engine !

Any comment or help is welcome.

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
I like stock too, those radiator and heater hoses above are horrible leave that stuff to the tuners  IMO
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »

I may be corrected, but I believe LM1 air cleaner lid is painted (black) and only the SS (L48) had the chrome lid, you speak of. Going by memory, but you know how that goes.

Correcting myself, Says Chrome Lid on A/C. http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 01:50:33 AM »
A couple of questions -
Date of assembly of your motor?
what is the foundry of your block? T or V
would the intake manifold have had an oil fill?

I will have other questions later
Chris
Chris
69 SS 350

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »
Oil fill on 69+ was via the valve cover.
Yes, it should have the chrome AC lid.

I'd unbolt that whole top end and change that back. But probably leave the serpentine.
Kurt S
CRG

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
A couple of questions -
Date of assembly of your motor?

H28/8

what is the foundry of your block? T or V

Where to find this one out ?

would the intake manifold have had an oil fill?

I believe yes, but that's one of the reason why I'm here and asking questions: I'm new into the Camaro and Muscle Car, so I'm learning through every post/topic you guys make!

I will have other questions later
Chris

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:50 AM »
unfortunately I have pre-69( oil fill on intake) valve covers and I have mid year exhaust and intake manifold
Chris
69 SS 350

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:24 AM »
I think if you unbolted all the after market items, You may be able to sell it as a package deal on Kiiji (Canada's version of craigslist). The good news is for a quick turn around, most of it is available reproduction. *OR you could find a Nova, Chevelle, Impala, or another Camaro parts car and source a lot of that stuff.

I gotta say the guy that did that probably had close to a couple grand swapping all that over. To bad you can't just go back to the seller and ask for all the parts he took off.....Or can you?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »
I'd change that battery cable too.  The other cable also if it has that type of replacement battery terminal.  That type of replacement battery terminal is prone to corrosion build-up and will eventually fail.

Paul

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:28 AM »
Hey guys, my project is under process. It will cost me a fortune, roughly about 12k$ in parts, and probably the same to my mechanics for 300 to 400 hours, but I'm so happy that it's now underway, and it will look awesome ! Everything has to be changed, replaced or relocated. He's painting everything as it should be, the proper color.....it's a real nice project !

Still looking for this air cleaner assy, anyone know the correct GM part number for it ? My engine is a 350 4 bbl automatic (TH350). Maybe a good repro to recommend me ?

Here's how it look right now:

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
Hey way to go, you are knee deep in it now. Take your time, and reference a lot of original cars, and it will turn out nice.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks Bullittt, that's what I'm doing by now. My mechanic is very well qualified, as he's in this business for over 30 years now. Good thing also, he's very passionned and perfectionist.....exactly the person I need for this job !

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »
I may have the correct air cleaner for you. It was on my non-automatic 350 until I found the correct one for me. I don't see any part numbers on it, so I'll do some digging and then post pics. I'm sure someone will be able to say if its correct for your automatic.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
I think this is the correct air cleaner base for your engine. It was on my 4bbl 350 until I could find one for a non-automatic. Its in decent shape with a little rust, has the original ribbed hoses. BUT, it does have some holes in the base that someone must have drilled - I guess for more airflow. The holes sit just outside of the air filter, so they don't do any harm and you can't see them when its on the engine. I never knew they were there. A metal guy might be able to fix the holes?

PM me if you want it. There are also several on ebay, the prices are pretty cheap. No sticker on the side so I can't confirm the part number. Maybe someone on here can verify by the looks of it.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Why you did not use this one for your engine ? Not sure about the difference....I'll try to find out.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Here's an answer found on a different forum, between cowl cleaner, SS auto and manual:

Cowl cleaner is 16.5" dia and L48 is 15" dia. L48 with auto trans on the right and middle in the pics. Seperately is the 4 speed snorkle without the vaccum flapper for comparision. Any questions?

So the vacuum flapper might be the difference.

What's the diameter of yours ?

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »
Any picture of the top plate ?

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »
Hi lemarin. My L48 is a manual, so my air cleaner snorkel doesn't have the AC parts. The manual and automatic air cleaners are exactly the same size and shape for a 4bbl carb. The lids are exactly the same for manual and AC.

This lid has some rust on the chrome so I doubt you will want to put it on your finished engine, but this base of the air cleaner will clean up nicely.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 11:45:20 PM »
Actually, from my understanding it has nothing to do with A/C. The main difference between Automatic and manual transmission, is the fact that the snorkel on the air cleaner assy, has the vacuum valve on it, and the manual transmission doesn't. At first, yours seems to have this vacuum valve on the snorkle so it should fit for an automatic transmission. Is it the reason why you did not install it on your 4 speed SS ?

Someone can confirm what I'm saying please ?

For the top plate, I don'T care about the rust, because I'll have it re-chromed locally here. As long as it's in good shape, without any dent, puck, or curve on it.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
This one per example, is without the vacuum valve, so it's for manual transmission.

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »
Sorry I don't know why I was saying AC. I meant automatic. Mines a manual, so although this fit on my L48 it was not correct for a manual.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »
I knew what you meant. But do you have picture of the top plate ? Also, how much would you sell it ?

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
Air cleaner lid picture.

It also seems I have the correct exhaust manifolds for your automatic. I could only take a picture of the RH manifold 3932376, but I assume the LH is a pair. Someone took the smog stuff off and put the automatic manifolds and auto air cleaner. I'm not sure if this is the date code, it was a little hard to read. But if that is L 38, then maybe this would be a December 3, 68 date code. That's two week after my build week 11C, just a coincidence I'm sure. When I asked the original owner about the smog equipment, he said it never had any - so that makes me think they took it off really early and forgot about it. They were just high school kids when their father bought the two brothers this car to share. I've been tempted to call the other brother, maybe his memory is better.

Can someone confirm this would be the correct RH for lemarin's car - and am I reading that date code correctly? Sorry about the bad pics.

lemarin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 06:35:41 PM »
abiddle, I finally already found both manifold, from a member in Arizona. I paid like 400$ US for both, but my mechanic is crazy about their state: they are like new ! Here in Canada, most of the cars we're out during the winter time, through snow, salt that they put on the road, so it's very rare to find manifolds  in such perfect state.

For the air cleaner assy, how much are you asking for, I might be interested.

anything