Author Topic: 1969 Dash Carrier Restoration Source  (Read 29278 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
1969 Dash Carrier Restoration Source
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
I'm looking for a shop that can do a high level restoration of my 1969 dash carrier (not the gauges or dash pad), or a source to purchase a restored original unit. I know HBC sells them however with a substantial retail mark-up. I'm not considering DIY.

-> Does anyone have direct personal experience with a good restoration shop who has done a dash carrier restoration? What was your experience, pricing etc?

-> Opinions on restoration dash carriers currently available?
                          ->Which suppliers?
                          ->How do they compare with factory original? 

-> Has anyone used the following companies for dash carrier or gauge restoration? If so what was your experience? 

Instrument Specialities http://www.instrument-specialties.com/
    D&M Restoration http://dandmrestoration.com/services/clusters/

Reference Photo:

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Dash Carrier Restoration Source
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
Lloyd,  I'm curious what it is that you need done to your IP..  is it broken and need re-attachment of broken parts? or cleaning?   coloring? refinishing somehow?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
Lloyd,  I'm curious what it is that you need done to your IP..  is it broken and need re-attachment of broken parts? or cleaning?   coloring? refinishing somehow?

It needs typical repairs and an overall renewal (polishing & painting),

->Tab for steering column lower cover is broken and needs reconstruction
->Chrome trim shows wear and needs refresh
->Radio wells are broken and need reconstruction
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:58:10 PM by Edgemontvillage »

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »
Try Mike Mancini in North Kingstown Rhode Island
http://www.amcri1.com/contact/ a few Team Camaro guys have had work done by him recently.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 04:52:13 AM »
Try Mike Mancini in North Kingstown Rhode Island
http://www.amcri1.com/contact/ a few Team Camaro guys have had work done by him recently.

Would like to see examples of their carrier restoration work and member experience with this vendor. Do you know who over at TC has used them or a link to the discussion thread?

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
His shop also runs http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

Threads and users at TC http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211693  Scottie43 http://www.camaros.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=49969

Timmy (french69ssrs) had is 1969 200 KPH speedometer restored by him http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283962 and
http://www.camaros.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=52178

69pace, thanks for the links however they are mostly dead ends, the TC thread (Scottie43) is 3 years old and the poster was previously asked to respond with feedback regarding he experience with Instrument Specialties however he did not. I revived the thread with a new request for vendor experience and also sent the poster a PM, hopefully he will reply.  The Timmy (french69ssrs) post repeats references to Instrument Specialties however with no vendor experience noted. The other 2 vendors mentioned; Redline Gaugeworks and Bobs Speedometer perform gauge restorations however do not restore dash carriers.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
Lloyd,

You probably need a 'plastics restorer' rather than an instruments service... and I have no idea who does that.  I've seen some links in the past to materials (glue?) that can be used to repair the plastics, but I haven't used them.  I just cleaned my panel thoroughly and reinstalled it.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
Lloyd,

You probably need a 'plastics restorer' rather than an instruments service... and I have no idea who does that.  I've seen some links in the past to materials (glue?) that can be used to repair the plastics, but I haven't used them.  I just cleaned my panel thoroughly and reinstalled it.

Gary, I'm looking for some shop names and personal testimonial from members who have actually had a dash carrier restored by a shop - whatever the type of shop.  I think the gauge restoration shops are likely candidates because their customers probably request the service from time to time and if the shop doesn't do the work in-house they may outsource it.  I have reached out to Instrument Specialties for information. Unlike my former 10 10 car the current project RS Z will undergo a full, high end restoration. My choices at this point are to buy an repop carrier (not my style), buy a restored carrier from HBC (big markup therefore expensive) or send mine out for restoration. I have used the plastic repair kits (bought one from a vendor at the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction a couple of years ago) however I don't have the skills to do reconstruction required for the radio wells and lower steering column tab.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
There is a before and after on Tim's speedometer, and somewhere a link to someone who had their dash plastic repaired. Here is the direct link to Mikes plastic dash restoration services.  http://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »
There is a before and after on Tim's speedometer, and somewhere a link to someone who had their dash plastic repaired. Here is the direct link to Mikes plastic dash restoration services.  http://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/

Brian in the TC link you referenced, Post #7 Tim (french69ssrs) states "My KPH Speedometer and Tach were Cleaned, recalibrated and installed in the new Carrier from Ground Up.  Although Instrument Specialties (IS) worked on Tim's gauges they didn't restore his dash carrier. I sent an email to IS today and am hoping to hear back about their services. I will post their response. 

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:50 AM »
No but someone responded in one of his many posts as he did not create a single build thread - he posts a new thread for every issue and they inter mingle often too, that they had work done on their carrier by him. So it's somewhere, you will have to follow the threads or just cut to the chase and send him a pm and ask him if he remembers who had the work done, or better yet just call Mike direct and ask for references if the ones on the website aren't enough for you to judge his work.  :)
TeamCamaro - Moderator

67 kemie ss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
Lloyd

There was a place is Mission that did great work, but they have changed their business and they are now referring work to Instrument Specialties.  IS sub-contracts it to a place in Texas, I believe.  I had my 67 dash carrier re-chromed and repaired, and they did a good job.  I would think they could do a 69 dash restore/repair just as well.  I did NOT have a great experience with IS' instrument work, however.  It took nearly 10 months to restore my tach and speedo, and I ended sending them back because the speed minder no longer worked and the tach had epilepsy.  Ultimately, I ended up throwing the tach away since it never looked or worked right after I got it back.  Further, because they had cut the tach hub and glued it to the needle I couldn't even salvage the dial face.  Rant.. rant.

I wouldn't bother with the HBC restored 69 carriers - I bought one for my 69 for $1100 and promptly sent it back.  Compared to a good repro, it looked pretty crappy, frankly.  I'm a purist too, but this is one area I would consider using a repro piece.  My repro is almost indistinguishable from either my original or the restored HBC one.   

Grant

67 kemie ss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
Want to clarify my comments since my intent wasn't to slag HBC. They do a good job of restoring the dash carrier - the edges are evenly chromed and broken tabs are cleanly repaired. Given the work involved, a $1000 may not be out of line.  It's just that you're still dealing with a tired 50-year old piece of plastic that still looks tired regardless of the brand of lipstick.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
Further to my earlier posts and based on feedback received I contacted Instrument Specialities (IS) as well as Heartbeat City (HBC).  IS currently (8/2015) offers a (1969) dash carrier restoration service that includes repairing or reconstructing of broken plastic, vacuum rechroming of surrounds as per original and repainting of the plastic (carrier) casting. They did send me photo examples of some of their work-in-progress however requested that I do not re-post the photos as they show proprietary processes.  I also requested photos from HBC of restored, original dash carriers they had in stock with close-ups of the plastic chroming and other key details.  In addition to this I received a PM from a TC forum Member who had IS restore a carrier for him.  From the photos I received from IS the chrome work appeared precise and accurate as did the plastic reconstruction work. Feedback from the TC forum Member stated he was satisfied with their work save for the paint gloss used on the carrier casting which was not accurate. Photos sent to me of the HBC restored carrier where not hi-res so details were difficult to assess however the chroming detail was not accurate.   

anything