Author Topic: ENGINE OVERSPRAY ON ALUM INTAKES  (Read 4507 times)

Ron C.

• View Profile
ENGINE OVERSPRAY ON ALUM INTAKES
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »
Im at the point where the engine for my 67Z is getting ready for paint and im wondering if the aluminum intake gets a little overspray of orange on the front? anyone know if the Hi Perf cars with the aluminum intakes get overspray?
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: ENGINE OVERSPRAY ON ALUM INTAKES
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »
Yes, some minor overspray is normal on all four edges of the intake and on the bypass hose, fitting and clamps, all of which were in place when the engine was painted; a vacuum-formed plastic mask was used during painting, but it wasn't always a perfect fit around the edges.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:08:56 PM »
Thanks John, I was wondering how it was done in 67.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:29:18 AM »
Yes, some minor overspray is normal on all four edges of the intake and on the bypass hose, fitting and clamps, all of which were in place when the engine was painted; a vacuum-formed plastic mask was used during painting, but it wasn't always a perfect fit around the edges.

John,

Interestingly enough, my research into the intake vac-forms seemed to show that as they aged ( painted over & over again ), they actually started to
rool back on the edges.  That might explain why some engines have more overspray than others.  At some point in the process, the vac-forms were
simply replaced.  I'd love to see a picture of this process or find an original vac-form some day.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

anything