Author Topic: Intake Sealant..  (Read 4325 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Intake Sealant..
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »
I intend to remove my intake and reseal it in the next while and would like opinions as to what is generally considered best sealant is for the dams at the front and back ends of the manifold and around the water passages etc..
Whatever I used years ago has gotten soft and mushy and now lets some of the oil especially below where the filler neck (its a '68) is located, leak out after I have added some occasionally - not a lot - but enough to be messy if I don't keep at it..
Is there a preferred method of sealing (many have said to immediately set the manifold on a new bed of sealer without tightening it down for an hour or two to let it stick to both surfaces without collapsing the dam) and is there a preferred brand and/or type of sealer that works and lasts best than all others?
Thanks for any info - Randy

mikefam

• View Profile
Re: Intake Sealant..
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »
I like Permatex ultra  blue silicon sealant but when I worked as a professional mecahnic we used a lot of permatex high tack spray sealant and nothing ever came back. I don't use it for my car becasue it is hard to remove if you need to.

MMike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
Agree with Mikefam. Spray was red, wasn't it ? Gasket material,(or options) have really improved over the years. Love the 1 piece oil pan gaskets. Also Felpro makes a bullet proof valve cover set.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »
Agree with Mikefam. Spray was red, wasn't it ? Gasket material,(or options) have really improved over the years. Love the 1 piece oil pan gaskets. Also Felpro makes a bullet proof valve cover set.

Yep it was a red spray and tough as hell to get off your hands.

Mike.

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »
I intend to remove my intake and reseal it in the next while and would like opinions as to what is generally considered best sealant is for the dams at the front and back ends of the manifold and around the water passages etc..
Whatever I used years ago has gotten soft and mushy and now lets some of the oil especially below where the filler neck (its a '68) is located, leak out after I have added some occasionally - not a lot - but enough to be messy if I don't keep at it..
Is there a preferred method of sealing (many have said to immediately set the manifold on a new bed of sealer without tightening it down for an hour or two to let it stick to both surfaces without collapsing the dam) and is there a preferred brand and/or type of sealer that works and lasts best than all others?
Thanks for any info - Randy

I haven't removed and intake in a while but I do remember that  there was more than one aftermarket front and rear seal that was easier to install than the stock gm rubber seal. They had ears on them that held them in place when you dropped the manifold in place. The GM seal was tough to get installed properly.

Mike.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »
Thanks for the info and replies here - I used some kind of black Permatex stuff previously mostly because the black looked more like an OEM installation verses some of the Permatex blue colour showing if it squeezed outward when tighten down..
Maybe for a better seal the blue works better and I could wipe off as much a possible so very little is apparent from the front view of the motor..
I do agree that the FelPro one piece pan gaskets work great and are apparently reusable too from what I  have heard - and as well they are blue - so maybe I shouldn't be too worried and picky about colours as I am using one of these now!
Thanks again for the input!

anything