Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 34740 times)

mikefam

• View Profile
Re: Starting problems
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
So it's been over a year now and the car is still starting perfectly. I still have a pretty large voltage drop in the bulhead connector even after adding silver impregnated grease to the connections but the car is starting and I'm good with it.

rich69rs - interesting document. It doesn't talk about the solenoid or the spring but changes the entire starter which includes both. I wonder if their changes affect the solenoid, the spring or the starter motor itself.

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
The spring change would help if the starter solenoid would not even pull in.  No electricity would be sent to the starter motor windings and the bendix would not move. 

The extra torque starter would help if the solenoid did do its job, the bendix engaged the flywheel and electricity was sent to the electrical windings. In this situation, the engine would crank slow or it would just attempt to turn over.

myblue67

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »
BTW, thank for responding. As you might guess the car has started fine since late last fall and over the winter, but....just drove the car this past ( warm weekend, pulled up in front of garage. Went back out about 15 minutes later to pull in and nothing....waited about 2 hours and started right up. Pisses me off that put so much money and work into this car and afraid to drive it. Sounds like many things to check.

anything