Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

1969 Z28 Exhaust Beginning of Resonator's

<< < (2/4) > >>

william:
Chambered was discontinued as an option on May 19, 1969 same day chromed tailpipes entered production. So the same VINs may apply; last NC8 cars were prior to N646229/L530160. Vehicle orders still in process were built with the standard N10 system.

GMPD continued to service NC8 for several years. I bought a complete system at a dealer in 1976.

Steve Shauger:
Just an FYI, but a July built L78 Chevelle survivor has been documented (build sheet), with chambered. Although this is not a camaro, chambered exhaust on the chevelle was still used after May 69.

Mark:
LOS was shutdown on April 29th 1969, so if you have any LOS sheets from 05A they come from cars physically started during the last week of April 69, and finished in June or July.  Wonder when the CBC was printed at LOS in a GMAD plant, day 1 of assembly, or somewhere later dwon the line?

william:

--- Quote from: paceme on June 01, 2015, 04:18:15 PM ---Just an FYI, but a July built L78 Chevelle survivor has been documented (build sheet), with chambered. Although this is not a camaro, chambered exhaust on the chevelle was still used after May 69.

--- End quote ---

The May 6, 1969 letter announcing chromed tailpipes and the discontinuation of NC8 is specific to Camaro.

This may be a good time to clear up decades of confusion about how the chambered recall affected L34 & L78 production. As of the initial recall in November 1968 those vehicles were built with the standard N10 resonator/muffler system. The interim system w/o resonators was Z/28 specific and prompted the second recall. Undercarriage photos of ZL1 #3 N608193 when new show it was built with the standard N10 system.

Bryan302:
William, thanks for your help!  I will continue my research on this subject.  You have helped greatly.

Mark, that 05A LOS Z28 FQ came from a thread on TC about Box 198.  That one example may be the closest to the transition from FM to FQ known.  I would love to see more CBC's of that time frame.  I'm also curious if FM has showed up on CBC's after the first of May?

Gary, The window sticker example in Jerry's 69 book for 9N641676 may be one of the last factory NC8 cars known before the 646229, May 19 cutoff.  I would like to know of a later example.

Thanks,
Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page