Author Topic: 69 Headlight washer system T-Valves  (Read 24453 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
69 Headlight washer system T-Valves
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:38:40 PM »
Can anyone explain the function of the T-Valve fittings used on the 69 head light washer systems?  This is GM P/N-4919503 shown in the AIM page 237-238 under the option CE1, HEADLAMP WASHER SPRAY SYSTEM – CONTENTS, and page 467, under the option Z22, RALLY SPORT – NOZZLE, VALVE, CLIP & HOSES. 

I assume they function like one-way check valves; however, repro systems do not include them but rather standard T-fittings.  I believe two valves were used.  As shown on page 238 and 467 one was used to "T" in the main washer feed line to the lines feeding each headlight nozzle set.  I believe the other valve T's the washer line from the front outlet of the head light washer solenoid to the lines feeding the windshield washer nozzles.  The AIM is not clear on this so I can only refer to what I have seen on original/survivor Camaros.  See pics.

Does anyone have (2) of these valve for sale or know where I can find them?  Does anyone have a more detail illustration on the proper connection of these valves?

Thanks...this would be a big help!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Headlight washer system T-Valves
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:42:28 PM »
I'd guess they're one-way check valves to keep the system from "draining down" between usages, as the headlight washer nozzles are below the level of the pump; not necessary for the windshield washer side of the system, as those nozzles are located above the level of the pump and that system stays full.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
I have cut one of these open for recasting them (I havent got there yet), there is a ball the fits in a cone shaped area (1 on each end).  The ball allows fluid to go from the center connection to the ends, but block flow from the ends to the center.  You need 2.  one for the outflow to the windsheild and one for the headlight washer.  The pic shows the correct location for the winsheild, but the length of the hose from the soleniod varies.  headlight one it right above drivers side.  Primary feed goes to the center, each edge goes to each headlight T, then to squirters.  The AIM pic is pretty good for routing.   

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback JohnZ and KevinW!  I figured they were a check valve of some sort.  The pics I posted is a valve I borrowed to photograph from a friend's 69 Pace Car that still had them in place, along with the original RS color coded hoses and the head light washer hoses.  KevinW, the position of the check valves are as you described on my friends car.  That is interesting you dissected one and good luck with recasting them.  I'll be your first customer for two please! 

Again, if anyone else out there knows of any for sale, I am interested.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:53:21 PM »

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:24 AM »
Mark X22,

Good diagrham! What is interesting is the T-fitting heading to each windshield washer nozzle feed lines is where the second T-check valve fitting is located in my pic.  Also, this same Camaro, and one other original, survivor 69 Pace Car I have seen, had the Y-fitting as shown in your diagrham, between the two lines from the pump to the single line into the solenoid.  In repro kits I have seen you get a T-fitting, not the Y-fitting.  I could not find a part number for this y-fitting in the AIM.

Are there any other RS or CE1 equipped 69’s out there with these check valves and Y-fittings still on your car to confirm there existence? 

If anyone knows where I can find a Y-fitting, new or used, I am interested.

Thanks again for the info.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:24:17 AM »
][/url]
  i didn't notice the windshield check valve . fixed the drawing. also the pump outlets face the drivers side with headlight washers & foward on all others.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »
Dave, Now the Y fittings I have recast! :)  I have a couple of my first casts available.  Here is a pic of one with a RS wiper motor I restored for ebay (which I havent finished yet). I repro the soleniod plastic parts and have recast them in an amber yellow color(to try to match yellowed originals) and this is a test pic to see if the color come through (which is doesnt) :( 

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »
Pic is from my '69 RS, I was documenting the hoses, etc after I pulled the motor/pump assembly during front end restoration a couple of years ago.  If you look toward the bottom right, you'll see that the Y fitting is clearly there.

Richard
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:53:41 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »
Side view pic
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:03:25 PM »
Thanks again for the pics, and great work on recasting the plactic parts!

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 10:23:01 PM »
KevinW, please let me know when the tee's and Y's are for sale! Great work!
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 01:27:55 AM »
The Ys I can recast.  I have 3 available now, Dave asked for 2, but I dont have any idea what to charge.  I was going to throw them into the restored wiper motors.  If someone wants to make an offer, just le me know.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 04:14:13 AM »
I just purchased (2) original check valve T-fittings from a Camaro restorer and they are white.  See pic.  I have only seen black ones on 69's that still had them on the car.  The pic of a black valve that I originally posed was one from a friend's 69 Pace Car.

Does anyone else have originals molded in white, and if so, what is the assembly date of your car?   Were the white check valves on early or late Camaros? 

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 02:42:01 PM »
i have one that has a white middle with black ends,built 1c.i dont rember if it came with the car or i already had it. i also have a white y fitting.

anything