Author Topic: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields  (Read 27088 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
Thanks Gary for directing me to this thread which answered several questions. I'm gathering that Pilkington is doing a good job on their reproduction windshield glass and etching.

I need a windshield for a 69 coupe 11C 68 build date code. There was some mention of late glass, but not what that means? Mine should not have the DOT, pre-Jan 69. Is there any difference in the blue shade band between early and late 69 glass?

My original rear glass is dated UX (July 68). This is 4 months prior to build. How much prior to build would windshields be dated? I was planning to use YX for October 68, does that seem normal?

Thanks -Andy

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm glad you found some useful information... :)   I spent quite a while collecting information before deciding to order the reproduction windshield.  I'm happy with the 'look, color, markings' on it, but haven't yet installed it, as I've been working on other things.   I wanted to get one while I could, as there's no guarantee they will always be available..?

The only thing I recall being changed in the windshield between 'early' and 'late', was a marking change.. which I think is pointed out in that thread.  No mention of any color changes in tint or shading throughout the production year that I recall.

Re your date:  My car's original glass was dated for Aug '69 (for an 18 Sept production date car), but I've also other cars where the glass predates the car's production by 3 to 6 months.  It is possible that with your original glass (dated July '68 for your Nov car), that due to suppliers prebuilding parts for early production, that earlier cars have more of a difference in the dates than for later cars (such as mine), but I'm only guessing on that.  I'd think you couldn't go wrong by choosing a windshield date that matched your other original glass (which is what I did when ordering my windshield).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 07:34:05 AM »
I need to replace the glass on my 1969 RS/Z (Norwood 2B) project as the windshield isn't original and the balance of the glass isn't in good enough condition to warrant restoration. In particular I need the location / measurements for the AS1 etching on the passenger side of the windshield when equipped with a tinted/shaded windshield. I am assuming the etching is applied to the outside of the glass for viewing inside. I was planning to order the replacement glass from ECS in Chesterfield MO who does etching in-house. Thanks in advance.

(photo - CRG)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:44 PM »
Anyone?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
Lloyd,
  I bought my 67 convertible windshield from Auto City CLassic at https://www.ebay.com/str/AUTO-CITY-CLASSIC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
 They even did the LOF w/date (inside etch and readable from the inside so it looks reverse when looking from the outside). I can measure that AS1 and the AS1 from the other 67 coupe (still original windshield) if interested. Not sure if 69 was different. I looked at ECS but they were too costly. The LOF etching on the new glass is excellent.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:15 AM »
Lloyd,
  I bought my 67 convertible windshield from Auto City CLassic at https://www.ebay.com/str/AUTO-CITY-CLASSIC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
 They even did the LOF w/date (inside etch and readable from the inside so it looks reverse when looking from the outside). I can measure that AS1 and the AS1 from the other 67 coupe (still original windshield) if interested. Not sure if 69 was different. I looked at ECS but they were too costly. The LOF etching on the new glass is excellent.

Mike

Thanks Mike, does Auto City do glass etching in-house? Would you post a photo of one of the window etchings they did, I'm curious how they duplicated the LOF logo and the spacing. Thanks for the offer to measure the AS1 mark on your '67. Its unlikely there is a difference in location however I might be better off with a measurement from a '69 to be safe.

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
  Just get a hold of Pilkington Classics. They can do what you need.

Rick

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
[
  Just get a hold of Pilkington Classics. They can do what you need.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I have what the manufacturer provides however I'm trying to confirm those coordinates from an original windshield.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 10:51:14 PM »
Lloyd the AS1 mark with the arrow ILLUSTRATES that from below the arrow the GLASS is AS1 above the arrow it is AS2 GLASS.
As far as I know AS1 AS2 are visibility ratings. because of the band of tint the glass is AS2 above the mark.
Yes I realize this doesn't tell you where it would be on an original in terms of a measurement, however if a tint band is narrower or wider would make the rating point of the glass change.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:38 AM »
Lloyd the AS1 mark with the arrow ILLUSTRATES that from below the arrow the GLASS is AS1 above the arrow it is AS2 GLASS.
As far as I know AS1 AS2 are visibility ratings. because of the band of tint the glass is AS2 above the mark.
Yes I realize this doesn't tell you where it would be on an original in terms of a measurement, however if a tint band is narrower or wider would make the rating point of the glass change.

Yes, thanks James, from the CRG Research Report it states: "Shaded: added to tinted GM OEM windshields when they included the upper, dark (non-AS1), tint band. For regulatory purposes these windshields are only AS1 glass below the tint band. " Wanting to confirm the exact AS1 mark location on the windshield.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
Here are some measurement photos I received from the current owner of my former 10 10 car (4C Norwood RS/Z) that I'm posting for future reference:

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:04 AM »
Lloyd,
 I measured the original 67 04B LOS coupe windshield and the measurement is 4 5/8" from the top of the glass edge to top horizontal line between A S1. Interesting enough though is when I looked closer at the tinted area itself, only the very top 2 - 2 1/2" thereabouts appeared to have a green/blue tint and the rest of the shaded area below is much lighter and extends down slightly above the A S1 line and looks almost a faded yellow. Maybe the California sun did that, just a guess. But, it definitely was not a consistent shade in that area downward. The AS1 is etched from the inside and the LOF is etched from the outside, both reversed when viewed from the outside.
  I did some searching and I found this HBC windshield to show the smaller tint band that looks just like my coupe. Hmmmmmm....this is the first time I have noticed this difference in tint thickness. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/14732/1967-1968-1969-Camaro-%26-Firebird-Coupe-Tinted-Windshield-Imported-Reproduction/
  So, based on the HBC windshield that is advertised for 67-69, was the tint band thin?
    The windshield I put on the convertible from Auto City has a blue/greenish hue and a consistent tint that runs from the windshield top to slightly about the A S1 line. I checked the coupe trim tag and it has the W in group 1 (same for the convertible). I'll be able to post some picture of the Auto City etching when I can get to the convertible. As far as I know, Auto City etches in house.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:37:15 AM by Mike S »

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 02:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the post Mike. Your theory on the current condition of the shading on your 67 LOS car’s windshield could be accurate. The link to the HBC windshield glass seems to be for their off-shore, and non-factory correct version which they poiitely caution as “not recommended for show cars” so likely not representative. The shading band on my former 4C Norwood car is a consistent blue and tapers off just above the AS1 mark. Would be very interested to see the Auto City glass and their etching work.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I contacted Pilkington Classics the other day. Here's some info they told me. 150.00 for a tinted w/s. 50.00 for the markings including the AS1. That would tell me they mark them there. For me they ship from Phoenix to Tucson for 50.00 or I can pick it up myself. When I ask if the glass was made in the USA, he indicated it was North American made.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
 If you are curious what a windshield shipping box looks like....here it is. This is from Auto City but I assume other makers use a similar box.
The box walls are 1/4" thick and the glass edges covered by a rubber edging. This rubber works great as a slip on protector to body panel edges for when assembling a car.

Mike