Author Topic: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields  (Read 9096 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
Thanks Gary for directing me to this thread which answered several questions. I'm gathering that Pilkington is doing a good job on their reproduction windshield glass and etching.

I need a windshield for a 69 coupe 11C 68 build date code. There was some mention of late glass, but not what that means? Mine should not have the DOT, pre-Jan 69. Is there any difference in the blue shade band between early and late 69 glass?

My original rear glass is dated UX (July 68). This is 4 months prior to build. How much prior to build would windshields be dated? I was planning to use YX for October 68, does that seem normal?

Thanks -Andy

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm glad you found some useful information... :)   I spent quite a while collecting information before deciding to order the reproduction windshield.  I'm happy with the 'look, color, markings' on it, but haven't yet installed it, as I've been working on other things.   I wanted to get one while I could, as there's no guarantee they will always be available..?

The only thing I recall being changed in the windshield between 'early' and 'late', was a marking change.. which I think is pointed out in that thread.  No mention of any color changes in tint or shading throughout the production year that I recall.

Re your date:  My car's original glass was dated for Aug '69 (for an 18 Sept production date car), but I've also other cars where the glass predates the car's production by 3 to 6 months.  It is possible that with your original glass (dated July '68 for your Nov car), that due to suppliers prebuilding parts for early production, that earlier cars have more of a difference in the dates than for later cars (such as mine), but I'm only guessing on that.  I'd think you couldn't go wrong by choosing a windshield date that matched your other original glass (which is what I did when ordering my windshield).
Gary W / 09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe, '70 Mach I 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan