Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Z/28 Open Element Air Cleaner Base  (Read 7971 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Z/28 Open Element Air Cleaner Base
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
I've read through various threads on the subject of open element air cleaners however haven't been able to conclude if this air cleaner base is correct for a 1969 Z/28.  Would appreciate feedback, thanks.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Z/28 Open Element Air Cleaner Base
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:18 PM »
Lloyd, if one of the threads you read was one that I started last year (URL is http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=309098) then I recently found that the air cleaner base that I pictured was not the one that came with the car, but a swap meet find that I think is for a BB engine. I only discovered this when rearranging boxes I have in storage, and found another labelled with a note as to it's origin. The one that came with the car looks just like yours pictured above, with the breather tube at approx 30-degrees to the horizontal; the base in my pictures, that I suspect is for a BB application, has a 90-degree breather tube. I've been meaning to document the 2 bases together and update that old thread.

While I can't confirm that yours (or my 2nd) is 100% assembly-line correct for a 69 Z, Darrell has a thread on his Dusk Blue barn find Z/28, and I requested he post details of the original air cleaner base, which he did (see reply 323, on or about page 22 depending on your browser). The URL is http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12511.0
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:21 AM »
I've read through various threads on the subject of open element air cleaners however haven't been able to conclude if this air cleaner base is correct for a 1969 Z/28.  Would appreciate feedback, thanks.

It appears correct, and if I were you, I'd assume it WAS correct unless someone can show/prove to you how it differs from original.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »
Lloyd, if one of the threads you read was one that I started last year (URL is http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=309098) then I recently found that the air cleaner base that I pictured was not the one that came with the car, but a swap meet find that I think is for a BB engine. I only discovered this when rearranging boxes I have in storage, and found another labelled with a note as to it's origin. The one that came with the car looks just like yours pictured above, with the breather tube at approx 30-degrees to the horizontal; the base in my pictures, that I suspect is for a BB application, has a 90-degree breather tube. I've been meaning to document the 2 bases together and update that old thread.

While I can't confirm that yours (or my 2nd) is 100% assembly-line correct for a 69 Z, Darrell has a thread on his Dusk Blue barn find Z/28, and I requested he post details of the original air cleaner base, which he did (see reply 323, on or about page 22 depending on your browser). The URL is http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12511.0

Thanks Tim, I did read both these threads however due to their length I missed the detailed references to the air cleaner base on the barn find thread.  Following your post I re-read it carefully and compared the measurements and other details to my air cleaner base and lid and they compare exactly. Excellent reply Tim, many thanks.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »
No worries, hope Darrell's pictures answered your question. I've just retrieved my 2 air cleaner bases from storage, so will photograph them and post the details over the weekend.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »
No worries, hope Darrell's pictures answered your question. I've just retrieved my 2 air cleaner bases from storage, so will photograph them and post the details over the weekend.

Yes, please add the photos of your 2 air cleaner bases (and lids if you hav them).

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
Lloyd, I've just added comparison photos to the thread at TC. I noted a difference in one area of the bases, one has a flat area (as does the base you pictured above) and the other has a circular indent. Now I am not sure what that means for the one with the indent (different supplier, service replacement, repro?) but I did note that Chuck Aleksinas has a 69 Z/28 air cleaner assembly for sale over at sYc and his also appears to have the circular indent. Interested in your thoughts and observations on this area.
Both lids have been rechromed in the past, so unfortunately neither still has the silk screening on the underside.
Tim in Australia.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »
Hey Lloyd,  Just notice this thread and as Tim (ZLP955) kindly stated in reference to my thread,  I firmly believe (105%)  ;D  that my open element air cleaner is original to my March build Z. 

As far as the semi-circular indent (seen in your 2nd pic at about the 5 oClock position),  agreeing with Tim ..could it be from another supplier?  Interesting... Are there anymore original lids out there that we can compare with and build dates ?  Other than that.. I'd say it's an all go for yours being original as well unless proven otherwise
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 06:11:51 AM »
Just to clarify, I believe Lloyd's base (with one flat, and one indented area) is assembly-line correct, and looks just like Darrell's. The one that has two circular indents is mine, that is the one I'm unsure about (alternate supplier, service replacement or repro).
Tim in Australia.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »
Just to clarify, I believe Lloyd's base (with one flat, and one indented area) is assembly-line correct, and looks just like Darrell's. The one that has two circular indents is mine, that is the one I'm unsure about (alternate supplier, service replacement or repro).

Tim, thanks for clarifying and for your help on this subject.

anything