Author Topic: 4th Gen Houndstooth Seat Covers - Who and Where to Buy  (Read 4005 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
4th Gen Houndstooth Seat Covers - Who and Where to Buy
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:55:03 AM »
I am looking to upgrade to a pair of 4th gen front seats for my 69 coupe.  I want to go with the houndstooth covers.  I understand that several manufacturers make them, such as PUI, PMI, and some others I do not remember.  Who has used any of these and what is your opinion of them?  Also, where to buy them?  Year One, Ricks, Classic Collectors, etc.?

I have a Classic Collectors credit card, which says I get 15% off my order, but find that the shipping is almost $50...so it might be a wash.  Any coupon codes for any of these guys, or any free shipping offers out there?  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: 4th Gen Houndstooth Seat Covers - Who and Where to Buy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:00:34 AM »
I also see there are manufacturers like Legendary Auto Interiors and Distinctive Industries.  Anyone use either of these.  It appears the Legendary seat covers are more money.  Are they better, or just cost more?

cam69aro

• 38,000 mile Jerry MacNeish certified z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:00:16 AM »
I just bought a Legendary seat cover for my sisters 1971 Chevelle. they were recommended by my interior guy. He said they were much better quality seam wise and overall fit. It did take a month to get a front cover. They only make them when they get orders for them. 
Eldon W 1969 z28 Black with born with driveline X77 38,000 miles-sold
2016 z06/z07 Corvette Black

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
Legendary has some of the best quality out there, and where I prefer to buy all my interior parts when I can.   I've used PUI, it's okay, but have always been happier with Legendary's fit and finish and overall quality, especially when wanting something as close to correct as possible.  Their stitching and seams/patterns are the closest to OEM I've seen.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Also, I am seeing that some suppliers sell 4th gen seat covers and distinguish between 93-96 and 97-02, and some do not.  All 4th gen look the same to me, but what do I know.  Does anyone know what the difference is?  I would hate to get the wrong covers for my seats. 

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 04:24:00 AM »
Okay, I see that the two companies both sell 4th gen houndstooth seat covers.  Classic Industries sells PUI covers for 1993 - 1996.  Rick's Camaros sells TMI covers for 1997 - 2002.  The prices are roughly the same coming in a $400 and $440.  I have a pair of both 4th gen seats, early and late.  What is the difference?  Any suggestions on which is better?  They look the exact same to me.  So, what makes them different?

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
Okay, I have ordered my houndstooth seat covers from Distinctive Industries for the rear seat from Classic Industries, for all four seats, the rear and my factory original fronts.  I have also ordered front houndstooth seat covers for my 4th gen seats.  Classic Industries only offers seat covers for 93-96 seats.  Whereas, Ricks offers TMI seat covers for 97-2002.  I am unsure which ones are better, but since I have several sets of 4th gen front seats, I bought the Ricks for the later 4th gen, figuring that GM must have improved these seats...not made them worse...RIGHT?

I am beginning to install them now, will report my results when done.

anything