Author Topic: I'm new and need help decoding my 69 camaro, please help!  (Read 11434 times)

West,J.71

• View Profile
I'm new and need help decoding my 69 camaro, please help!
« on: November 15, 2005, 04:59:18 AM »
I just bought a 1969 camaro and i'm trying to figure out what the car is. The car is missing the engine but it still has a 4 speed transmission it. Well at least in the trunk. I thought the car was a bargain even for $500.00,although it has seen some better days........very rusty. I would like to find out as much about the car as possible and i tried to understand all of the codes but i wasnt very successful. Some parts of the car is missing all together hood,rear deck lid and emblems. The cowl tag reads as followed   ST69  12437   NOR 120222 BDY   (2nd line) TR 711        57 57 PNT   (3rd line) 09A         X66         I would like to know what the motor and transmission was that came in the car if possible,color of paint inside and out. Also what kind of stripes( if any),hide away head lamps( since the car doesnt have a grill) and whatever other info someone can tell me. It does have a 10 bolt rear under it but i know those are easy enough to change out. So if someone would be kind enough to help me out i would be very appreciated.

Alan

• View Profile
Re: I'm new and need help decoding my 69 camaro, please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 05:34:42 AM »
Under the CRG Home Page, click on "Decoding" and it will give you a wealth of information on decoding all of the numbers on your Camaro. I am in your same shoes, a "newbie" !!!

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »
Here is how the cowl tag decodes:
Decode for body number: 120222
09A = Built the First week of September.
69-12437 = Coupe.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
711 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
57-57 = Car Color is Fathom Green
X66 = SS396 without style trim

If the cowl tag is real, then the 10 bolt axle is not original.  Can you get the production code from the 4-speed?  Look here for more info: http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#TransmissionNumbers
You should also post the vin# so we can make sure the tags have not been swapped.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

West,J.71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 06:20:13 PM »
The VIN# is as followed 124379N681136. The transmission i am having it rebuilt atm,but i was told it is a M-21 4 speed,whether it came with the car or not i dont know. That was one of the questions i was wondering about if the cowl tag would say if it was a 4 speed or automatic. I have to assume it is a 4 speed because it has all of the clutch parts still intact. And what is no style trim exactly? And with the car being a big block SS does that mean it had the hockey stick stripe or the racing stripes? Or does that not have anything to do with the cowl tag. Also with out the motor is it possible to find another #'s matching engine from something else of that year or were they specific castings? The reason i ask these questions is because there is no way i will ever sell this car and would very much like to restore the car back to its original condition. The car atm is being media blasted with along list of replacement panels and floor pans. If someone could answer these questions i would very much appreciate it.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:17:58 PM »
It would have the hockey stick stripes.
The decode above show all the options that the tag shows.
1 or 2 fuel lines?
Kurt S
CRG

West,J.71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:08:51 AM »
It has 2 (sending and return) fuel lines. Would the cowl or VIN # state the type pf 396 that was in the vehicle or the type of transmission meaning (m-21/22) saginaw? And does no trim mean no chrome around the wheel wells and drip rails? These are the questions i'm mostly interested.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:22:58 AM »
I'll try to be clearer.
The VIN and tag tells nothing more than the info posted by Daniel. No other engine info and no trans or any other info.

Correct on the style trim.
2 fuel lines means it was a L35 or L34 (325 or 350hp) 396.
Kurt S
CRG