Author Topic: Removing Woodgrain From 69 Ashtray Door  (Read 3820 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Removing Woodgrain From 69 Ashtray Door
« on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
I have an ashtray door for a 69 in original dark blue paint, but it has the woodgrain effect overlay on it. I'm going to try and remove the film carefully without stripping the paint beneath, and wondered if any of you have done this and would have tips or suggestions. Maybe soaking in a mild detergent solution?
On a related note, if this is an original factory woodgrain, would the factory really have painted a black door the dark blue, only to then cover the entire visible part with woodgrain film? Seems like a waste of time if so.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Woodgrain From 69 Ashtray Door
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Tim, A genuine woodgrain door will not have paint on the inner side portion (back area). I would also suggest a heat gun, like used to remove decals and appliques in body work, like the old woodgrain station wagons had.

On a side, Tim, I am publicly seeking forgiveness for not getting your parts to you timely. I still need to do some trimming around lower hinge area to cut off excess wheel housing. I promise, real soon (I will pay ship for my egregiousness). My actions are inexcusable and I am ashamed and embarrassed. I really have a passion for these cars and the great guys, here, on the site I have worked hard to build good relations with. Many could attest to my desire to help them and how I have shipped parts, gratis, just to help fellow hobbyists. For some reason, and I do not have a diagnosis, I have all but quit on everything in my life. There is a physical health component as I have battled with physical problems for about 3-4 years, now. More concerning is my mental health and depression, which I inherited from Mom's side and effects of many things going awry in my life all at once. Not neccessarily wanting to "air my laundry", but, Tim, you are a fantastic, great, knowledgable guy I am proud and privledged to get to converse with. I take our relationship seriously and value friendships beyond any part for a car. I am truly sorry and hoping my lack of actions (communications&not dilegent in a transaction) can be repaired. I humble myself before my colleagues in this post in hopes of offering sincere disclosure & understanding. This lack of motivation and abilitiy is why there has not been anything posted about my car since Dec.

Please, not to Hi-Jack Tim's post, any replies be sent in form of a PM. Needing the support of my pals right now.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »
Bentley, I'll PM you but please do not feel bad, there is no problem.Although we all love our Camaros and other cars, nothing whatsoever can be as important as our families, our health and happiness. A few bits cut off a parts car pale into minuscule insignificance compared to those things, and I'd gladly urge you to forget about them if it helps!
So here's to the future, I sincerely hope you can get proper diagnosis and treatment and work towards regaining your usual health and positive outlook on life. Be cool, the journey may take a while but you're travelling with good company.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
I have an ashtray door for a 69 in original dark blue paint, but it has the woodgrain effect overlay on it. I'm going to try and remove the film carefully without stripping the paint beneath, and wondered if any of you have done this and would have tips or suggestions. Maybe soaking in a mild detergent solution?
On a related note, if this is an original factory woodgrain, would the factory really have painted a black door the dark blue, only to then cover the entire visible part with woodgrain film? Seems like a waste of time if so.

The Z87 ashtray door and glove box door had the wood-grain applique applied by the supplier - all the assembly plant did was to take them out of the box and install them. Different process than the standard ash tray and glove box door, which were painted at the assembly plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »
Thanks John, so this was applied some time later on then. Doesn't matter, as I want to remove the woodgrain and I picked up the ashtray door with a suspicion it wasn't a factory application.
Tim in Australia.