Author Topic: Throttle linkage for an Edelbrock Torker with holley  (Read 10391 times)

67L78

• View Profile
Throttle linkage for an Edelbrock Torker with holley
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »
If I put an Edelbrock Torker intake on my 67 Camaro big block what kind of throttle linkage set up do I need. I will use my 780 Holley on it.

Thanks,
Richard

Carbuff

• View Profile
Re: Throttle linkage for an Edelbrock Torker with holley
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:34:11 AM »
I briefly installed one on my 67 327 car back in the 80's before I knew a single planet was not a good fit for a stock motor. I used the same linkage. Is the bbc a mechanical lever or a cable?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:54:13 AM »
Is that the 'twisted'? or rotated carb base on that manifold?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
I briefly installed one on my 67 327 car back in the 80's before I knew a single planet was not a good fit for a stock motor. I used the same linkage. Is the bbc a mechanical lever or a cable?

Lever

Is that the 'twisted'? or rotated carb base on that manifold?

Yes but I also think they have another version of the Torker that is straight.  Since he is asking about throttle linkage I would bet the one in quesiton is twisted.

If I put an Edelbrock Torker intake on my 67 Camaro big block what kind of throttle linkage set up do I need. I will use my 780 Holley on it.

Thanks,
Richard

Assuming by your screen name these are rectangle port heads so the intake is a vintage one.?.  I would think it would put the rod into a bind with the intake..  I have seen them work with it but didnt look at them close enough to see if they had to modify anything (like bending the rod)..  I would guess it would need to have the rod bent to work correctly or switch over to a cable.  All you can do it try it and see if there is any interference unless someone else has run one with success..

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
I don,t know why they called it the Torker. I replaced my single plan GM aluminum intake in the 70,s and was sick about the tork. Bad thing is I traded my old one for it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
I will try and get you a pic of my setup. I ran a Tarantula , similar to old Torker, I bought a piece of 1/4 rod(?) and bent it accordingly. The back firewall end, I  bent the rod downward so as not to hit the firewall. At the time, throttle swivels, which was a bushing with a thru-hole and set screw and swiveled in the carb hole, I think Rocket, Mr. Gasket, Eelco, Develco and Holley sold these. Surely, someone still has these today. Basically, I took my hand and bent the factory arm off the pedal swivel toward the master cyl. This broke the weld BTW, oops. 1 swivel went into both carb and top of this bent arm, then the rod was bent, like in a vice, to fit making the angled bend inline with the back bowl of my 3310 780cfm. Sounds crude, and it was, we were poor teens without a lot of tools, but a lot of common sense know how.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:51 PM »
I don,t know why they called it the Torker. I replaced my single plan GM aluminum intake in the 70,s and was sick about the tork. Bad thing is I traded my old one for it.

In the 'heydey' of street drag racing muscle cars, Edelbrock came out with the 'Tarantula' intake, which had very short straight runners and was designed for high rpm HP.. at the expense of 'torque'..  ( I had one of those on a '67 302 in my HenryJ).  It was only good for 'full bore' GO!   A year or so later, they came out with a modified version of that intake, I believe to address the torque concerns, and appropriately labeled it the 'torquer'.. which may have been a better compromise for the street,  but yes, it still exhibited less 'torque' than the factory intake, but is better on the high rpm HP side...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
My intake is the Torker TM2R which they called their street version. I recently talked to a guy that ran one on his car in the 70's and what he did was bend the rod a little.
He said it will work fine. I remember when they came out and have always thought they look cool on a car. It will a winter project for me some day. Thanks for the input.

Richard

anything