Author Topic: definative answer ? does it exist  (Read 3519 times)

deputyb

• View Profile
definative answer ? does it exist
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:25:38 AM »
I have a 69 JG block...casting 3955272.  some decoding websites say it is 396, some say 402.  some say L34  some say L35.  I there a source that the serious buyer relies on?  I mean a buyer at Mecum or Barrett Jackson.  I have had this Z11 a long time and want to restore it in such a manner a serious buyer would be interested.  The original 396 is long gone, but I knew the previous owners and remember seeing it, and it was a big block.  Any help resolving these minor differences would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.
P.S. I also get the same variations when running the casting #'s on the heads.  ???

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: definative answer ? does it exist
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:34:14 AM »
My book says JG is a 69 Camaro L35  396  325hp  turbo hydra-matic  automatic trans

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »
I have a 69 JG block...casting 3955272.  some decoding websites say it is 396, some say 402.  some say L34  some say L35.  Is there a source that the serious buyer relies on?

Yup, check out this link...  http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PadStamps

Paul

deputyb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »
Thank You very much for the clarification.   
Next Question....Since this is not the original engine...will the fact that the engine stamp (T0617JG) indicates this engine was built in June and the car (Z11) was only built in late Feb thru early May have much of an effect on the end value?  enough of an effect to go to the trouble of trying  to find a block / stamped prior to car build date?   I can't go 'concours' on the restoration, but I don't want one thing to be a deal killer either.  This engine issue is the only issue I am aware of at this time. Rest of the car is there and I have a lot of GM parts so that is going to be correct,  but I don't know how 'correct' I need to be to get the selling price out of the 'average' range.  Thanks again...in advance.     

buenymayor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't go on the search of an engine that is dated close to the cars build date. Even if you find one, it still isn't numbers matching, so what have you gained? If you are going to spend the energy trying to locate a closely dated engine, I'd rather use that energy to chase down the original engine. Even if it isn't rebuildable, at least you would have it and be able to prove it is an original BB car.

anything