Author Topic: what carb/intake/air filter combo will fit under the SS hood of '67 with 396ci e  (Read 10492 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
I have a terrible 4150 Holley that I've rebuilt the last two years due to leaking all over after sitting over the winter. I have started the car. ended up with the intake covered in fuel. I wish to replace the carb and probably go ahead and change out the cast iron intake that was for the Quad Jet that came factory 396/325 with auto trans. just looking to see if you have any good combo's for the SS hood with big block including possible air filter fitments. I don't want to do a cowl hood. thanks, J.R. I also ask this over at Team Camaro.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I have a terrible 4150 Holley that I've rebuilt the last two years due to leaking all over after sitting over the winter. I have started the car. ended up with the intake covered in fuel. I wish to replace the carb and probably go ahead and change out the cast iron intake that was for the Quad Jet that came factory 396/325 with auto trans. just looking to see if you have any good combo's for the SS hood with big block including possible air filter fitments. I don't want to do a cowl hood. thanks, J.R. I also ask this over at Team Camaro.

I'm confused - how do you use a Holley 4150 with a cast iron intake for a Q-Jet?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

adjudimo

• View Profile

I'm confused - how do you use a Holley 4150 with a cast iron intake for a Q-Jet?

JohnZ, you are correct, and actually have me now wondering the same thing; LOL. I actually meant to write a 4175 Holley spread bore. Thanks for drawing my attention to the type'O. Hope this clears up things for everyone.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile

JohnZ, you are correct, and actually have me now wondering the same thing; LOL. I actually meant to write a 4175 Holley spread bore. Thanks for drawing my attention to the type'O. Hope this clears up things for everyone.
Glad you cleared this up as I, too, wondered the same thing as JohnZ.
Could you elaborate what you want to accomplish? Besides hood clearance. Are you looking for performance? Nostalgia, retro look? Stock look? There are so many combos that will work. For a stock appearance and good low end, off the line pull, I would say a stock,early cast iron Holley. I personally ran a Edelbrock Tarantula (similar to Torker) and even ran a 163 square port on my oval ports (knowing the turbulence issues caused) for looks, all with my stock SS hood and a variety of air cleaners including a stock open element. Many things will work, but I think you have to zero in on what you are looking to achieve. I, personally cut my teeth on Holleys and like them. A real performance carb is a Q-jet though and can be made to perform very well. John Lingenfelter, Big Block drag guru from BITD, preferred the Q-jet. I always felt 4150s go with Chevys like beer and chips. If I recall, the 4150 was made for the late 50's T-Bird originally. I have extra intakes (all mentioned) stuff was cheap and plentiful for old timers, like me.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

L78 steve

• View Profile
A 4150 sitting on a 069 or 163 with open element A/C will just fit under a stock flat or SS hood. On my 67 the air cleaner decal has a rub mark from the underhood brace. Probably due to aftermarket rubber engine mounts.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

adjudimo

• View Profile
ko-lek-tor,
 I wouldn't mind a boost in power, but mainly I would like drivability. I currently have 4:10 gears with a T-350 that someone along the line stuck in the car and gas millage is awful. Little over 3000 rpm at around 50mph'ish.  After I get the carb/intake part ironed out, I will try to figure out which overdrive trans to purchase and stick in to help with drivability and gas millage. At my stage in life, I would rather have a car that I can enjoy/cruise/take places; instead of hopping around short distances around town from time to time. My current intake it seems is a midrise cast unit and with the 3 inch open air cleaner on top the 4175, the top front of the air filter lid has cut into the hood insulation. I rather like the look of an aluminum intake instead of the painted cast; personal taste. I have read that the C396 intake would be a good choice but haven't seen one listed for sell. I would even like to go with an electric choke if I could. I like Holley as well, just not the one I have. Everything I read tells me that I would get better millage from a QJ carb. So with all this, which really isn't much; I was seeking you guys knowledge and thoughts be-for I proceed. Some of you guys has forgot more about this stuff than many of us ever knew!

L78 steve
I will research the 069 and 163 intakes, because I am not familiar with them. Might be silly question, but what brand, edelbrock, holley, GM?

cook_dw

• View Profile
069 & 163 are GM aluminum intakes for rectangle port heads and Im assuming you dont have since you have a cast iron intake. I would stick with what you have and swap the gear out for a 3.42 or 3.55 and that will help with gas mileage..  If you are dead set on swapping intake and carb just go with a edelbrock or weiand intake (aftermarket aluminum) with a 600cfm 4160 carb which will also help in mileage but you will loose top end but gain bottom end torque with a smaller carb..  

Ok there's my $0.02

Holley (same as a Weiand.  Same company) intake with 780 Holley and open element air cleaner with SS hood.  No issues but I am not running insulation.  For the record, my fathers 68 L78 insulation rubbed the air cleaner and eventually wore a hole in it so he pulled it because it would suck the insulation around the air cleaner at WOT..  I would venture to bet most if not all had the same issue when new or a year or 2 old.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
"I have read that the C396 intake would be a good choice but haven't seen one listed for sell."...probably because this intake has not been made for about 40 years. It is a good intake and probably costlier than other more readily available options as the Retro-Nostalgia crowd will pay a premium for vintage speed. A newer and easier found intake that is essentially identical to the C396 is the Edelbrock Performer, plus, it is drilled for both square flange and spreadbore carbs giving you plenty of options.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

adjudimo

• View Profile
Darrell, 

Thanks for the info. I am going to get away from the 4.10 gears, at least for a while. Leaning toward the 3.42's. I'll more than likely swap out the intake and put the cast iron in storage. The picture you posted is what I am after. Clean and simple. I'm not really one for all the bling. Always preferred the stock and day 2 approach.

ko-lek-tor

I'll be ordering either a Weiand or Edelbrock intake. I'll probably get another Holley carb as well. I really have no experience with Edelbrock carbs, even though they are probably very descent. I have done searches for QJ's, but it seems as though you need a core to send in or one to rebuild. I just want to buy a nice carb and get on with the gear change. Now I know that there are several opinions and I have used the search engine and read on it but, what are you guys thoughts on one more item that I wish to address? What brand and type of OD trans do you recommend. I have to stay away from the higher stall speed torque converters due to a neck injury my wife has to live with, so that needs to be taken into account. I really would like to have at least what most call a stage two build; since they are supposedly built with better components and handle more torque, etc. Thoughts?

As always, I thank you guys and gals.