Author Topic: Ash Trays  (Read 5840 times)

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
Ash Trays
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:59 AM »
Guys:

This may be another stupid question from a newbie but here goes anyways.  I positively dislike nasty ash trays and although the previous owner did not smoke for 20 years the ashtrays have obviously been used.  Can I just take them out, mask them off and blast them or do I need to paint them as well?  If I need to paint them can someone recommend the correct paint to use?

Thanks

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Ash Trays
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:02:40 AM »
If you really want to get crazy, buy a zinc-plating kit from Eastwood and plate it! The zinc will give a factory look on the tray itself and on the frame, and of course you can paint the outside to match your dash. You have have the whole thing absolutely clean before you try plating it. I wash my parts with Auto Zone carburetor cleaner and let them air dry, then in the acid they go. The Eastwood kits are fantastic--you can replate nuts, washers, screws--anything that came zinc from the factory--make them look brand new, save money and keep your original parts! On my '68 I've done the tie rod sleeves, suspension nuts and washers, brake components--etc. People are amazed when I tell them they're the factory parts. Just a thought. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:06:01 AM »
Hot:

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I will look into the plating kit.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:17:54 AM »
Ok im interested in doing this as well... i have 3 used ashtrays ive got put back im my stash.. i need to restor one for my 68 problem is i cant just repaint it..its a wodgrain one.. am i going to have to send it out? and if so should i send the wodgrain dash panel as well to make sure they both match perfectly?
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:54:34 AM »
The woodgrain was, after all, a decal. I have no idea if anyone makes a decal kit to refurbish the ashtrays...good point! Maybe someone on this site knows. You can buy woodgrain contact paper decals in sheets and make the templates yourself so it all matches I guess. Either way, the ashtray would have to be completely stripped to bare metal for the plating to take--the acid solution would destroy any existing decal. Hope this helps and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

anything