Author Topic: Finding a replacement heater core frustration  (Read 21736 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Finding a replacement heater core frustration
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:20 AM »
I am trying hard to find a replacement heater core for my '68 327 non-AC car and becoming frustrated!

Looking for a replacement that is good quality, the same size as the original, has the tubes bent correctly for my car. This seems to be hard to find.

I would have liked to have my original recored if it was less expensive. I went to the only three shops in the Orlando, Fl area that advertised radiator repair. One could not do it. One recommended I don't because it would cost over $300. The third would do it but quoted me between $200 and $250..... I found a place out of state you could send it to but they quoted me $190......I can't put that kind of money into a heater core right now.

I bought a Spectra Premium part number 94536 from Autozone. I had seen where someone on this site had used that particular one and was happy with it.....It is all aluminum and light as a feather however it is a half inch shorter than the original leaving large gaps at the top and bottom where the heater core sits in the heater box......Also, the original clip that holds the core in place by the tubes will not work with it. I would have to fabricate something which I could do but would rather not.

Just about every other core I have looked at from numerous websites state their thickness as 2 1/2 inches or don't give any dimensions. My original Harrison core is only 2 inches thick. The original clips are made for a core that is 2 inches thick and will not work with one 2 1/2 inches thick. A 2 1/2 inch core will fit in the pocket but would be almost flush with the outside edge of the box. And then there would be no way to fasten it unless you rigged something. Also with a lot of these, if the picture they are using is correct, the tubes are clearly in the wrong place.

I also looked at the Vista Pro Ready Aire part number 398228 which says it is 2 inches thick but it got four bad reviews (two reviews each on two different sites) saying that the dimesnsions were different from what was advertised.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.....Dave

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Finding a replacement heater core frustration
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:04:00 AM »
Before buying, I'd suggest reading this thread over at Team Camaro regarding what HBC sent one owner for his '68:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=311537
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
Before buying, I'd suggest reading this thread over at Team Camaro regarding what HBC sent one owner for his '68:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=311537
Sorry, typo in the above. Paul's thread was about a 67, not a 68.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
Did you go to NAPA,  how does their's compare.
69 Z28 Burgandy

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
lets face it, these have become dinosaurs! not many 40+yr old cars are still rolling around. I went through similar getting a freaking water pump for my Z, no one in Dallas stocks reman w/p - hard to believe. The new one would "fit" but the pump body was moved back and hits the factory metal gas line - DOH!
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »
Heartbeat City...

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/15041/Camaro-Heater-core-all-SB-no-AC-1967-1968-1969/

Paul

That is what we used in our 68 but had it brazed around the two stems for strength and tested at our local radiator shop. I test them all before they go in! :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:17 AM »
Napa's website says their core is 2 1/2 inches thick. I am still looking for 2 inches thick.

I am hoping someone can comment on the 2 1/2 inch cores I see listed so often. Is any one using them? In my heater box with the 2 1/2 inch pocket that the core sits in, a 2 1/2 core would be close to, or touching the firewall....and my original hold down clips would not work. What do you hold down a 2 1/2 inch core with.

Chick, how was the tube postioning on the core you got from Heartbeat City? Others  have said the tubes were positioned wrong and had to be fixed.

Also, while we are on this subject. Does anyone know where you can get a heater core tube to firewall seal like the original shown in the pics below. The seal that came with the OER heater box seal kit isn't anywhere close to the original. Rick's use to show them but with a note saying that they were discontinued.

Thanks.....Dave

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
I've reused ones which looked that bad before cleaning, if it's not falling apart you can soak it in scalding hot water mixed strong with oxyclean, then you may have to use a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol to get the rest of the crap off it. 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »
For the record I still have not found a suitable solution for this so I am watching this thread (and the one on the other site) with interest.  Maybe I will get kucky and find a good original one, if not perhaps an after market one with "close enough" measurements will have to do.

The car is still a project and the one in my other 67 seems ok so I am not in a huge rush but it would be nice to tick this off my list that's penned on an old hood !

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Paul, is your original core 2" or 2.5" thick?
Your to-do list written on an old hood sounds very much like Roadkill  ;D
Tim in Australia.

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
The old core is 6 5/16 wide and 2 1/2 deep.

The end cap is badly cracked where the top pipe goes in and my radiator guys tell me its not fixable.  Shame because the core is great !

I might try to get a used Harrison one with a busted core but good ends and sweat them off, then present the whole lot as a kit of parts to the radiator guys and say "here, sort that"

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »
Dave,
Try Rick's HC 20, they explain why you cant find what you are looking for.
Bob

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:05:05 PM »
Napa's website says their core is 2 1/2 inches thick. I am still looking for 2 inches thick.

I am hoping someone can comment on the 2 1/2 inch cores I see listed so often. Is any one using them? In my heater box with the 2 1/2 inch pocket that the core sits in, a 2 1/2 core would be close to, or touching the firewall....and my original hold down clips would not work. What do you hold down a 2 1/2 inch core with.

Chick, how was the tube postioning on the core you got from Heartbeat City? Others  have said the tubes were positioned wrong and had to be fixed.

Also, while we are on this subject. Does anyone know where you can get a heater core tube to firewall seal like the original shown in the pics below. The seal that came with the OER heater box seal kit isn't anywhere close to the original. Rick's use to show them but with a note saying that they were discontinued.

Thanks.....Dave

Dave, sorry I missed your much earlier note! Yes, I had an issue with the tube and thought it happened when they re-brazed the tube so took it back to the radiator shop and they re-brazed/located the tube. Everything was good after that! Just to know, I was able to re-use our seal as it was in excellent shape.....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
I may have found an original one for you. It looks to be 2 inches thick. It's at my friends tow yard, and came out of a 6 cylinder Firebird. Should be the same?? It was in the trunk still mounted in the plastic case. I will get some pictures tomorrow and post them.. Danny.